Hardtop Through bolts leaking?

mike410

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Has anyone ever experienced leakage from the throughbolts that hold the fiberglass hardtop to the pipe frame? Over my past few outings, I have noticed one of the screwheads on the underside constantly dripping leading me to believe that there is water trapped in the pipe. Today I was out and noticed that there was a trickle of water coming into the compartment under the starboard console (under helm of freedom 275) from where the frame mounts. Am I looking in the right direction thinking that it could be a bolt, or should I be looking elsewhere? Any advice is appreciated!

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
yes. on my gulfstream. shouldn't happen. had to get up top and reseal all the bolts. pia because it's a 2 person job. good luck, ron

Fishtales

Reaction score
I've heard of water getting in at the mount points of the frame and the fiberglass not hardtop bolts though. Maybe take the nut off the bolt that is leaking and see if the bolt is properly bedded. You don't want water coming through the hardtop (earlier models were balsa cored). It could be coming into the pipe and running to that spot, so your point of entry may not be where it is observed.

freddy063

Reaction score
I ended up using finishing washer filled with silicon , stopped my leaking trouble.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have the same issue and plan to address with silicone once my boat gets out front....

I do not believe there is any leaking in the pipes. It is just the holes that the bolts go through on the metal support that the hardtop sits on. I have a bolt and washer on top followed by another washer and nut underneath.

mike410

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Thanks for the insight all! It seems like I may have a project ahead of me, unless Grady is gracious enough to see this as a warranty issue...Fingers crossed...

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd ask if the coring material is still balsa or did they change to a composite material. Would be nice if you could post the answer.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I don't know about your boats but I can confirm my 2013 model 228 has some kind of wood on the hardtop.
Mike, if I was you I would take all the bolts off and put some kind of sealant on the top to make sure water doesn't get in the core, regardless of the material you don't want water getting in there.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
That leaking is all bad especially if it comes with coffee stain drippings. Hardtops are cored. Screws leak, water gets inside tower structure and finds its way out. Top could be leaking anywhere. Caulk the screws and screw holes.

Caburke1

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Or... I thought I had leaks into my hardtop from above. After months of investigation, it turns out I was "flooding" the top when I sprayed a hose on the underside to wash it. There are connections between the tubes and the top and electronics box which aren't sealed at all. Water was getting in and then leaking back out when I ran the boat.

It was even more difficult to figure out since it didn't happen all the time. I discovered that when I made a hard turn and leaned the boat way over, water started to leak out. When I leaned the boat over, water drained from a low spot inside the top, into the electronics box and out the bottom of the box.

Even new boats have their quirks.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Does it make sense to seal all screws/ bolts from top or just focus on those where the drip is coming from?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Do them all. If one is leaking from the top water will get into the aluminum tube and run along to another bolt (not caulked from underside which is ok) and leak out. You are up top anyway - with a helper it should be quick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blaugrana