Hardtop tower mountin

Grady fun 5

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Does anyone know if it’s possible to safely mount a tower to the hardtop by just bolting the tower directly to the hardtop with backing plates, or should it be tied into the tubular frame of the boat. This boat is used exclusively for offshore fishing and some days it’s very rough. I’m also wondering if anyone has a tower on a 305 express, and does it change ride characteristics. Any help is greatly appreciated

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I wouldn't do it. Grady has previously indicated that the hardtops are not meant for mounting anything very heavy. Even rafts have been discouraged, mostly due to the structure working. I think the raised center of gravity can't be too big of an issue as we don't hear a lot of complaints from those who have full towers.

Grady fun 5

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I wouldn't do it. Grady has previously indicated that the hardtops are not meant for mounting anything very heavy. Even rafts have been discouraged, mostly due to the structure working. I think the raised center of gravity can't be too big of an issue as we don't hear a lot of complaints from those who have full towers.
Thank You for your input. I know in my heart it is not a good idea to just bolt a tower on it should be tied into the structural framework. It’s just good to hear it from others. I would like to think if Grady wanted towers on these express boats it would be a factory option with a huge price tag. Thank You again