Hardware rust on a 2022 Freedom

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
That looks like chromed brass. Stainless doesn't usually pit like that.
Yeah, something is definitely wrong with that. That's not normal rust. Looks like acid got on those. Maybe the original owner replaced them himself for some reason with parts off Amazon.

Another option for the OP is to contact GW headquarters directly. Show them the pictures and tell them your local GW dealership said it was normal and new parts would rust right away also. They have superb customer service. List time I called a real person picked up on the second ring and took care of my issue. Try (252) 752-2111.

seasick

Reaction score
I hesitated to comment again about the Covid models of Gradys but since it was mentioned I can't help but to chime in. There have been many quality of build issues mentioned on this forum regarding Covid era Grady builds. I have seen examples at boat shows also. It rattles my belief that the Grady is the number one manufacturer in their class. Part of the problem was the very strong demand for boats during and after Covid coupled possibly with the supply chain issues. Some of it may be the loss of skilled technicians at the plant as well as the shortage of skilled workers but that i a guess on my part. The reputation of Grady has been tarnished and it will take time to regain it. What would help is Grady addressing the build issues and providing remediation.
Honestly, a 2022 model should not have rusting hardware, period. My 24 year old Grady does not have rusting hardware ( other than the crevice corrosion here and there under mounting bolts/screws.
I am looking at newer boats and none of what I am considering are Grady's.( To be honest, I like the 232 but I won't buy a boat that doesn't have a transom door). The biggest reason is lack of choices in the length and style I am looking for (express cabin types) and my concern about recent build quality.
Yes, I know there is the Marlin but I think it is too large for my needs.

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
I hesitated to comment again about the Covid models of Gradys but since it was mentioned I can't help but to chime in. There have been many quality of build issues mentioned on this forum regarding Covid era Grady builds. I have seen examples at boat shows also. It rattles my belief that the Grady is the number one manufacturer in their class. Part of the problem was the very strong demand for boats during and after Covid coupled possibly with the supply chain issues. Some of it may be the loss of skilled technicians at the plant as well as the shortage of skilled workers but that i a guess on my part. The reputation of Grady has been tarnished and it will take time to regain it. What would help is Grady addressing the build issues and providing remediation.
Honestly, a 2022 model should not have rusting hardware, period. My 24 year old Grady does not have rusting hardware ( other than the crevice corrosion here and there under mounting bolts/screws.
I am looking at newer boats and none of what I am considering are Grady's.( To be honest, I like the 232 but I won't buy a boat that doesn't have a transom door). The biggest reason is lack of choices in the length and style I am looking for (express cabin types) and my concern about recent build quality.
Yes, I know there is the Marlin but I think it is too large for my needs.
I'm new to Grady, but I haven't heard anything about Grady's reputation being tarnished?

seasick

Reaction score
I'm new to Grady, but I haven't heard anything about Grady's reputation being tarnished?
Gradys have been known for their quality of build, be it hulls or hardware or general build quality. I don't think I am off base here. On this forum you can find issues on newer hulls that you typically don't see for a lot more years than many of these boats have. So I may be a minority of one but over the last two years, I find myself less enthusiastic about professing Gradys as the best made boats.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Called the local GW dealer (where the boat was bought new) and they told me Grady White only warranties items for the original owner. Also told me they would be happy to sell me new parts, but that I needed to understand that the new ones would rust as well. Still love my boat, but I would not pay the 200k for a new one after hearing that.
I'd be calling on GW Cust Service on that one. This is a cheap and easy fix for a company to maintain good relations.