Has anyone done a glass front, like what the 330 Express has, on a 228?

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I'm going through my 228 and fixing it to being to my liking. The 2 things that annoy me the most are the noisy live well pump, have a replacement in hand that is silent, just need to install it. And that stupid bar at the top of the windscreen, precisely where I want to look.

I know Joe Celia pulled his hard top and replaced it with a pilot house. That's cool but I've got 2 radios, a 942xs, power distribution, 2 antennas, steadycast, and radar on my hard top. That's a lot to move.

So I want to look into replacing the existing windshield and eisenglass with a custom fitted glass windshield.

Figured I'd ask here first to see if someone has beat me too it.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I bought a SailRite sewing machine a few years back to make a new enclosure for my boat. I built a one-piece Mackrolon (polycarbonate) front enclosure for my boat. This enclosure minimizes the blind spots along the top of the hard windshield. There is no vertical break or "U-zip" window. Nice and clean and works well for me. I raked the side windows to allow more air in. I still have vent windows.

New Enclosure.jpg

I have considered pulling the windshield completely off and doing a full polycarbonate front and sides. This is how its done on the big rigs. It's coming off for paint next year. WE'll see. But so far what I have done has worked well for me.

The newer GW's are moving to a larger glass windshield. Personal preference - probably a better way to go - but expensive to do as a one-off.

Last edited:

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The curved glass makes it a much tougher project than the older style, with the corners. It has been discussed here before, without any real solutions.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I went looking to replace my side windows this summer. Talked to Taylor and Pomponette (who owns several window companies). GW cust service sent me to them. Both companies are not interested in one-off custom work and are really OEM part suppliers. It was a dead end for me I removed the two front windows and glassed them over. I kept the side windows for now.

You can try these guys: http://www.marineglassspecialties.com/index.html I have bought some windshield materials from them. The have NOS Water Bonnet materials.

The center consoles are moving to a flat glass centerpiece framed with fiberglass. Cheaper because it doesn't have to be bent. That look is ok but not stylish.

Do you have a hardtop?

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Lucky, when you say "bar at the top of the windscreen", I think you are referring to the top of the windshield frame? Meaning, even the best "clear vinyl" isn't going to help?

I'm not personally aware of anyone that has done it - but I do know it's going to be expensive! I hate to say this, but if this is a deal breaker for you, you may want to consider a different boat like maybe a Parker?

I'm all in for projects... but this one seems to be quite a big one - maybe too big to realistically consider.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Take the windshield off and do a one piece polycarbonate from windshield base to the hardtop. Look at some of the expresses of other manufacturers. You would loose wipers but they are not that big anyway. It’s a common way to handle it on boats your size.

The polycarbonate is clear as glass with no wrinkles.

Reactions: blynch

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
That was done by: https://outerbankscanvas.com/sportfishing.html

Not sure what they would get for your boat. Too far from them to consider.

You really need to find a good canvas shop by you in CA who works with Makrolon or other polycarbonate. Stamoid frame. Tenera lifetime thread. 3-sided enclosure maybe $3,000 +/-.

No windshield wipers. Most flybridge enclosures have a center panel that zips out or could be hung up. The vertical frame isn't as annoying as the horizontal windshield.

Costa Marine Canvas build for all the top end sport fish boat builders. Not that you would buy from them but its worth browsing. http://costamarinecanvas.com/

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
OK Hookup, thanks. $3K is way cheaper than a pilot house (and I'm less concerned about money and more just wanting to dial in my boat).

Why no windshield wipers? Did the base get pushed forward? Can't you move them? I agree it's not a deal killer but they have been handy.

I'm thinking I just want the front done and blend it into the eisenglass because those rare days when it is hot, I roll up the sides.

I'll start asking around locally, you've given me enough to do that, so thanks again.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Wipers will scratch the poly. You might consider a freshwater spray bar, to rinse them before salt spray dries. In your typical day on the water, how often do you use your wipers, and do you typically have the clear vinyl in place above the wind shield?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Take the windshield off and do a one piece polycarbonate from windshield base to the hardtop. Look at some of the expresses of other manufacturers. You would loose wipers but they are not that big anyway. It’s a common way to handle it on boats your size.

The polycarbonate is clear as glass with no wrinkles.
That's a good idea - and much more cost effective!

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Wipers will scratch the poly. You might consider a freshwater spray bar, to rinse them before salt spray dries. In your typical day on the water, how often do you use your wipers, and do you typically have the clear vinyl in place above the wind shield?
Hmm, that means the poly is pretty fragile, might need a bra going to/from the harbor.

I have the vinyl in place 100% of the time, our ocean is cold. Wipers get used on rough days, I could survive without them. Worst case,
I send someone up there with a towel to wipe them down.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hmm, that means the poly is pretty fragile, might need a bra going to/from the harbor.
No, not really "fragile" - it depends on how you are qualifying that term. It's excellent stuff and lasts quite a long time. But with something scraping against it, it can get scratches like anything plastic would. If you're talking about trailering with it, it might be best to avoid putting something on it that would flap against it.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
No, not really "fragile" - it depends on how you are qualifying that term. It's excellent stuff and lasts quite a long time. But with something scraping against it, it can get scratches like anything plastic would. If you're talking about trailering with it, it might be best to avoid putting something on it that would flap against it.
If it scratches is it possible to buff it out? And is this the same stuff that they make center console windshields out of?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I couldn't tell you anything about the windshield but when I was on the Arima owners forum there were oftentimes guys talking about doing custom hardtops or a pilothouse. One thing that always stuck with me is to add a side window to each side that you can open up for ventilation and to cool down the helm area when you need to. With you being in California, I have to imagine it gets really hot during the summer and with all of that glass/poly, I'd bet it will get really hot in there.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I couldn't tell you anything about the windshield but when I was on the Arima owners forum there were oftentimes guys talking about doing custom hardtops or a pilothouse. One thing that always stuck with me is to add a side window to each side that you can open up for ventilation and to cool down the helm area when you need to. With you being in California, I have to imagine it gets really hot during the summer and with all of that glass/poly, I'd bet it will get really hot in there.
Already on it, I just want to do the front section, I'd leave the sides as they are (with a little tinkering to match up to the front) so I'd have the little wings that suck in air and the big sides that unzip and roll up.