Has anyone installed an Auto Pilot on their 208?

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I got the Lowrance kit and I am trying to decide on mounting locations for the NAC 1, pump, and compass.
Any suggestions or photos would be appreciated!
TIA,
Jeff

seasick

Reaction score
What year hull?
In general there is very little room at the helm under the dash You may have room in the starboard cabin locker (under the berth cushion). That is where Grady was installing trim tab pumps. I don't know if they still do.
I don't see many 208s with auto pilots. No actually, I haven't seen any in my neck of the woods.

Reactions: Facially Endowed
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks for the suggestion SS.
It's a 2006. Running out of San Diego Mission Bay solo most days so the AP will be key on tuna trips. Not too many 208s out here to check out so had to ask.
That starboard cabin locker may be an option for the pump. There may also be room in the knee level cubby on the starboard side of the helm under the switch bank.
Thanks again!

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes, I have an AP on my 208, went with Furuno. The pump is mounted under the dash beside the foot rest (just fits) with short hydraulic lines running up to the Seastar steering . The AP processor unit is mounted on the inside of the cabin wall then connected to the control unit at the helm. The compass is on the floor ..oops sole of the cabin attached to the bulkhead.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks Trapper! Just the info I was looking for!
By chance do you have any pictures?

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have a 208 and installed the same autopilot kit. Pump and NAC-1 installed on the bulkhead inside the cabin. Needed to drill holes in the bulkhead to run the hydraulic hoses from the helm. Not the prettiest location but I wanted it out of the weather and easy to inspect. I have an Ultraflex/UFlex helm pump with different sized ORB fittings than SeaStar so I installed the tees at the pump instead. No functional difference; just a different hose routing.

Same thing with the compass/heading sensor. Hard mounted on the dash with the cable routed through the forward plastic section of the electronics box. Check positioning/interference before drilling the final mounting location. This can change depending on accessories/speaker locations.

Autopilot is awesome for fishing and reducing fatigue on longer runs. We found the heading hold mode to be really useful even when drifting or at idle with large fish at leader. Just don’t use it as a substitute for safe practices and you’ll wonder why you didn’t install it sooner.

Attachments

• BAF7D924-54B8-48A3-A997-2CF09F270FE5.jpeg
    BAF7D924-54B8-48A3-A997-2CF09F270FE5.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 31
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks, Holokai. Good suggestions. I thought the compass had to have an unobstructed view of the sky?
I was reading your thread yesterday(again!) to see if you mentioned adding A/P. Great write up but hairy trip to Molokai BTW!

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have a bimini top and haven’t noticed any real issues as the windshield doesn’t seem to interfere with the compass. Figure if MFDs with internal antennas work in the electronics box then there shouldn’t be a problem.

That wasn’t me that did the Molokai writeup but we fish/cross that channel a lot in the same hull (208) and I can attest that it gets stupidly dangerous out there to the point even the large charter boats don’t bother; it’s a whole different level of rough.

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I'm probably confused. Recurring theme lately.
I agree on the MFDs. Not sure why they recommend clear sky view.
I think I'm going to have to mount the compass on the hard top.
Thanks again for the input!

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Are you saying your compass heading sensor has to have sky view? Mine is on the cabin sole with no issue. The instructions suggested a fairly stable spot on the boat. I guess floor being more stable than the rock and roll on the superstructure.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you have the Point-1 GPS heading sensor, it needs a sky view. Either on the hardtop (best) or the top of the cabin. You can mount a fluxgate (magnetic) compass like the Precision-9, you can mount it on the cabin sole near the centerline.

The Point-1 is a much better instrument. It is more accurate and does not have a problem with magnetic interference.

Reactions: Holokai

seasick

Reaction score
For that AP, I don't think you need GPS data, so no need to see the sky. The main concern is finding a location that is free of stray magnetic fields. Common sources of that are motors, electronics, speakers, and heavy current conductors.
Note that in the cabin, you have to keep potentially magnetic things away for the magnetic compass.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
If you have the Point-1 GPS heading sensor, it needs a sky view. Either on the hardtop (best) or the top of the cabin. You can mount a fluxgate (magnetic) compass like the Precision-9, you can mount it on the cabin sole near the centerline.

The Point-1 is a much better instrument. It is more accurate and does not have a problem with magnetic interference.
This is spot on regarding the mounting.

Any thoughts as to why the higher end Navico Autopilot packages come with the Precision-9 instead of the Point-1 if it’s less accurate? I know it’s not apples to apples as the more expensive packages also have the NAC2 or NAC3 computers so their improved performance may negate the lower performing Precision-9 in favor of easier installation.

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks for the responses gang!
The set comes with the Point-1. I now realize that it's the Precision-9 that get mounted below decks.
Anyone know if I can use the existing GPS that is on the network that my NSS Evo3 uses with the NAC1 computer? I was wondering if I could use one gps sensor for both computers at the same time or do they have to be dedicated? I have a spot on the hardtop to mount the Point-1 but fishing wiring through the tube will be a pita.

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have a bimini top and haven’t noticed any real issues as the windshield doesn’t seem to interfere with the compass. Figure if MFDs with internal antennas work in the electronics box then there shouldn’t be a problem.

That wasn’t me that did the Molokai writeup but we fish/cross that channel a lot in the same hull (208) and I can attest that it gets stupidly dangerous out there to the point even the large charter boats don’t bother; it’s a whole different level of rough.
BTW...Figured out it was Koakine88 on the Molokai trip in his beautiful new 2021 208. You should read his post! It's in the photo section. Sounds like "stupidly dangerous" is about right!

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks for the responses gang!
The set comes with the Point-1. I now realize that it's the Precision-9 that get mounted below decks.
Anyone know if I can use the existing GPS that is on the network that my NSS Evo3 uses with the NAC1 computer? I was wondering if I could use one gps sensor for both computers at the same time or do they have to be dedicated? I have a spot on the hardtop to mount the Point-1 but fishing wiring through the tube will be a pita.
You’ll usually want select the heading sensor as the Evo3 internal gps will only give you heading based upon movement as they don’t have a default orientation whereas the Point-1/Precision-9 are orientation dependent. The Point-1 can be selected as the position source for the Evo3 via the network/sources menu as long as they are both on the same NMEA network. You also can’t use the Evo3 internal GPS for the NAC1 as there is very limited setting adjustment to that model of autopilot computer; it’s meant to be more of a plug and play installation.

I’d definitely recommend installing the Point-1 on the hardtop or somewhere else that is less likely to be subject to stray magnetic fields (thanks, seasick). You can zip tie the cable to the hardtop frame tubes and run through a clamshell/hole, outboard of the stbd switch panel, to the electronics box or cabin (wherever your you decide to install your NAC1.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I spent a lot of time on the phone with tech support learning how to get the firmware updated so I’m somewhat familiar with the installation.

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
BTW...Figured out it was Koakine88 on the Molokai trip in his beautiful new 2021 208. You should read his post! It's in the photo section. Sounds like "stupidly dangerous" is about right!
He did a good job describing the conditions in the channel. The majority of the time the conditions are as rough as described and the only vessels out are interisland tugs or cargo ships.

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
You’ll usually want select the heading sensor as the Evo3 internal gps will only give you heading based upon movement as they don’t have a default orientation whereas the Point-1/Precision-9 are orientation dependent. The Point-1 can be selected as the position source for the Evo3 via the network/sources menu as long as they are both on the same NMEA network. You also can’t use the Evo3 internal GPS for the NAC1 as there is very limited setting adjustment to that model of autopilot computer; it’s meant to be more of a plug and play installation.

I’d definitely recommend installing the Point-1 on the hardtop or somewhere else that is less likely to be subject to stray magnetic fields (thanks, seasick). You can zip tie the cable to the hardtop frame tubes and run through a clamshell/hole, outboard of the stbd switch panel, to the electronics box or cabin (wherever your you decide to install your NAC1.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I spent a lot of time on the phone with tech support learning how to get the firmware updated so I’m somewhat familiar with the installation.
Thanks! I may hit you up for troubleshooting!
I guess I wasn't quite clear...I have a separate external GPS antenna as well as the internal gps in the EVO3 .

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks! I may hit you up for troubleshooting!
I guess I wasn't quite clear...I have a separate external GPS antenna as well as the internal gps in the EVO3 .
Simplify and get rid of the external gps antenna. The internal antenna on the Evo3 works well and you’re going to need the Point-1 anyway for the NAC1. You might be able to reuse the mounting location/cable run of the external antenna for the Point-1.