Hatch Cover-Brown Spots

Bumpye

Reaction score
I have some cracks in a couple of my hatch covers that have a brown, sticky residue seeping through. I can clean it off but it returns. I applied gel coat repair material over it but it still returned. Any thoughts on what it may be?
See attached image.

Attachments

• GW hatch photo.jpg
    GW hatch photo.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 0

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Well, first, don't cover things up - that's just a band-aid. Gotta find the root cause. Is this seeping up through a crack? My first guess would be a compromised/wet core.

edit: incorrekt speeling

Last edited:

Stephnic

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I had the samething coming out of my gunnel. I was thinking water was getting in from someplace also. I left it open when it was shrink-wrap until it stopped over the winter then resealed my fuel tank fill cap and two rod holders and haven’t had it since. Make sure you leave an area where the water can get out and only seal the top portion where it’s getting in.

Attachments

• A6EFC31B-AC95-4B07-B34C-EF11425B2481.jpeg
    A6EFC31B-AC95-4B07-B34C-EF11425B2481.jpeg
    680.2 KB · Views: 0

Fishtales

Reaction score
Well, first, don't cover things up - that's just a ban-aid. Gotta find the root cause. Is this seeping up through a crack? My first guess would be a compromised/wet core.

agree. sounds like the wood core is wet. if in MA, the freezing is not helping and it won't go away. will need to remove one side and rebuild the core and reglass.

seasick

Reaction score
agree. sounds like the wood core is wet. if in MA, the freezing is not helping and it won't go away. will need to remove one side and rebuild the core and reglass.
Not only wet but rotting.

Bumpye

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I think you all may be right in that it's the wood core rotting. Fortunately, it's just a hatch cover. I may end up stripping it.

Fishtales

Reaction score
You can cut the backside and get access to the wood. Remove, glass in and then reglass over. The edges are tricky as GW uses a fairing compound that is prone to chipping. I'd cut inside the edge to get access to the wood on the backside and then work to build up and regelcoat.