Hatches

Littletony

Reaction score
My 04 Gulfstream hatches are showi.g Their age. Stern cover is cracked, live well hatch corner is peeling away. What have y'all been doing with these issues? I can replace with starboard or similar color matching products. Is it worth having them re-cored ect ? Thanks Tony

Reactions: wcs357

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Common question. Search hatch repair on this site. Starboard isn't the answer. Best course of action is to repair the hatch.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I've seen a set of really bad hatches on an abused boat. Cored with parquet like wood material - just crap with way too much end grain. I hope to goodness the new ones are composite cored.
The Resin Transfer Mold (RTM) process used while a good idea doesn't allow the finished corners to be smooth. They add fairing compound to get the nice look. Doesn't hold up well to bangs, or water that freezes (if stored in the cold weather). Have to be careful with them and cover or wrap the boat. Hardtop edge is done the same. I'd either do them myself (good), take them to a body shop (better) or a glass guy (best). Prob going to cost a handful of marine units....