Hatteras 10/6 - 10/12 Not so good

grady23

Reaction score
Went to Hatteras with my local fishing group arriving on 10/6. Stay at Breakwater Motel -- Great people. I would opt for the nicer rooms in the newer section of the motel -- worth the extra $20/night.
WIND WIND WIND. It was so rough on Sunday 10/8 that the 75' Head boat Miss Hatteras, turned around and came back to the dock. The Captain reported 11-12' waves in the inlet. As I only have a 23' boat, I was only able to get offshore 1 day. Some of the guys with bigger boats, 26-30', went out 2 other days but REALLY got beat-up doing it. Gulfstream water temp 82-84 degrees. Inshore was 72-74. Out of a total of 16 boats fishing, only 9 Wahoos were caught, 2 Dolphins with the largest being only 4.5 Lbs. The largest king was only 40" and about 18Lbs. This was pretty sad given most of these guys are VERY Good fisherman to start with. Small Kings in the 24-28" range are available around the wrecks and just off the beach, but are hard to find. Hopefully things improve as temps cool down.
Fishing in the sound for Reds is fairly good, but if you fish at night, you'd BETTER KNOW where your going. Legal (14")Flounder are easliy caught mostly on the flats on the tide changes in about 2-3'. Some are avilable in deeper, 10-15' but not as many. Cut squid and even artificial shrimp worked fine for us. I had good luck using a small Bucktail, 1 OZ with a 4" squid strip.

Seahunter

Reaction score
I was wondering how you guys did. I fished a surf tournament in OC that weekend and it was blowing NE steady 30 with gusts to 53. Not fun at all. 10 oz. was rolling down the beach at a fast walk pace. :(