Have a 208 and getting the itch--help

viperdrum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bought a river house last yr and for the first time at age 51 bought a boat--a GW 2001 208. All my buddies said "just wait, you will want a bigger boat". I said no way. Now after a season I love the 208 but I have a large family and it would be nice to have something bigger.

The boat shows are starting here in Va and I was wondering what you experts suggest. Is it worth it to go from 20 to 23 ft or should I be looking for something larger ie will I notice much difference at 23 ft? Thanks, PS I just use this in the river for fun and some fishing with my kids.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Usually, boaters make a 4 ft jump when buying a new boat, but this does not apply to all. It really depends on what 23 ft boat you are looking at. If it is the gulfstream you are considering, there is a bit of a difference which you will notice. It really depends on your needs and your use. If you need cockpit space and a more stable ride, a bigger boat will provide it. If you need a larger cabin space, a 3 ft jump may not be worth the $ since you will not gain all that much. Best bet is to make a list of your priorities and see what spaces on the boat you use the most, and then at boat shows look for a boat in your price/size range that tailors more to your needs. That is your best bet. Yes, moving up in size usually will help suit your needs, but you need to decide for yourself if the benefits are worth the money you plan to spend.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Unfortunately there is no cure for that 2 foot-itus bug. Just a temporary fix.

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's[/b]

Seahunter

Reaction score
I went from a 208 to a 226 2 years ago. Lots of positives and I would do it again in a heart beat but the one downside which never considered was how much more of a load it is to handle.

Muscling a 208 around by yourself isn‘t a bit deal but the 226 combined with not getting any younger makes it all that much more challenging. If you keep it in a slip is not that big of a deal but if you trailer regularly it’s something to think about.

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
Seahunter said:
I went from a 208 to a 226 2 years ago. Lots of positives and I would do it again in a heart beat but the one downside which never considered was how much more of a load it is to handle.

Muscling a 208 around by yourself isn‘t a bit deal but the 226 combined with not getting any younger makes it all that much more challenging. If you keep it in a slip is not that big of a deal but if you trailer regularly it’s something to think about.

I have the same problem. Heck, I'v only had my '91 Overnighter now going on 3 months and already I'm catching myself eyeballing the bigger boats....I mean the really bigger boats. But like you said.....not getting any younger. I can launch and recover mine all by myself if I have to. It is a bit of a challenge and I would hate to see what it is like with bigger boat. The nice thing is that I can trailer her home and park it in my building if I have to do some work on it...which I am currently doing.

I'll see what next summer brings :D .

HD

GWcpa

Reaction score
Viper,

From your terminology of "river/rivah house" I'm guessing you are on the Northern Neck?

I had a 208, bought a 232D and went back to a 205T. The 232 is substantially more boat than either a 208 or 226/8, but also substantially more work and expense.

I bought the 232 with plans for offshore use, but found I really don't have time for that now. The 205 has been a great compromise, and much easier to maintain and launch.

I miss the size, speed, hardtop cabin of the 232, but I've caught more fish and used the 205 more hours and spent less time cleaning and fueling.

If you have a lift that will handle the 232 the trailering problem will be eliminated, which is a much bigger job than a 208. I sold my 232 with 200 hpdis to a friend of mine with a lift and he loves the boat. He also has a large family that uses the boat with him.

As far as price I recall that the 232 with F150 was just over 100K. Last time I got Southeastern to quote a 232 with an F250 it was high 60s to low 70s.

viperdrum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
GWcpa said:
Viper,

From your terminology of "river/rivah house" I'm guessing you are on the Northern Neck?

I had a 208, bought a 232D and went back to a 205T. The 232 is substantially more boat than either a 208 or 226/8, but also substantially more work and expense.

I bought the 232 with plans for offshore use, but found I really don't have time for that now. The 205 has been a great compromise, and much easier to maintain and launch.

I miss the size, speed, hardtop cabin of the 232, but I've caught more fish and used the 205 more hours and spent less time cleaning and fueling.

If you have a lift that will handle the 232 the trailering problem will be eliminated, which is a much bigger job than a 208. I sold my 232 with 200 hpdis to a friend of mine with a lift and he loves the boat. He also has a large family that uses the boat with him.

As far as price I recall that the 232 with F150 was just over 100K. Last time I got Southeastern to quote a 232 with an F250 it was high 60s to low 70s.

You guessed it--Meachum creek on the Rapahanock. I do have a lift and boathouse. I just wanted the bigger boat for more stability and to take more folks out. In truth, I hardly even go out to the Bay.