Having some issues with Outriggers and Electronics

ninodog10309

Reaction score
Have a Grady white 257 Advance w/ twin 150's and having a few issues....

Okay guys.. I have some questions..

You may need a Lowrance or hav e experience with them to answer some of them...

This is my first boat so Im learning still.

Question 1) I have Out riggers.. That after rain, then running the boat will have this black stuff drip all over the sides of the boat .. from the bottom part of the outrigger under the T-top is where it comes from.. it cleans right up like if it were dust, but its nasty looking.. Is that normal ?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Question 2) When they installed my transducers ( 1 for Lowrance, 1 for Structure scan ) they installed them between the F150's. Now they read okay BUT when running fast the Structure scan (large transducer) kicks an abnormal amount of water on the starboard engine which it is closest to. This is causing water to I think get sucked in through the intake up top and get Salt all over the engines Particularly the starboard. They pulled the boat and said the transducers are in the right spot.. but had to many barnaculs.. they removed them and its still happening.. They are telling me to just wipe down the engines with a wet rag every few weeks..

I went to do it yesterday and on the starboard engine it was like a sheet of salt behind the oil filter.. THERE IS NO WAY IM GOING TO CONTINUE TO RUN THE BOAT THIS WAY !..

The previous owner - one of his selling points were that the engines were so clean that you could eat off them.. AND they were.. spotless.. not even a drop of grease, oil, or SALT any where ! They just dont look the same.

what Im asking I guess is

A) has any one had this issue and have an idea where I could place them who has twins ? Or can something be made to shield the spray coming up ?

B) Also - Any suggestions cleaning the engines. ? Its a B!%Ch getting to hard to reach places with a wet rag.. Was thinking tooth brushes...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Question 3) When I was offshore yesterday normally the screen on the HDS looks white and floor looks brown.. Yesterday the screen had red, green and yellow speckles which usually represent fish or something, (wasnt that) all over the part of the screen that should be white. We were in 170 to 240 feet of water.. Never saw that happen from 2 feet to 60 feet. this is the first time Im that deep . Anyone know why ?
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Question 4) The Structure Scan was Kind of doing the same thing.. Instead of reading feet .. on the side of the screen and showing. 10, 20, 30 , 40 , 50 etc.....

it was showing 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 3.5 etc to 5.0.....

WTF is that about and it to was unclear..

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I know a lot of questions and this is a long post.. sorry.. Just trying to figure a few things out.. And need people who may have had these issues or just have experience with these sort of things advice.>..

ALL CONSTRUCTIVE INSIGHT IS APPRECIATED, THANKS IN ADVANCE ..

LeapFrog

Reaction score
I had the same thing on my Marlin when I bought it (used)... the boat was "detailed" before I picked it up... they didn't thoroughly remove whatever they used on the aluminum pipes to clean them... for a couple weeks after it rained I got the streaks... I've switched over to using woody wax and no longer have the issue...

Your transducer should be mounted between your engines on the transom... you may find that they mounted it too far below the bottom of the keel... it should be below the bottom, but by only 1/8" give or take (check the specs on the transducer)... This would cause excess water to be kicked up... too low will also cause turbulance at the transducer which will cause air bubbles and the signal will not be interpreted correctly... the extra marks on your finder could be from this noise...

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If your outrigger mounts are loose, they will move and rub the aluminum on fiberglass along with any grit and create a nasty dark gray/black material and looks nasty. But it does rinse off easily enough. My tower mounts did this when they came loose. After removing the mounts, cleaning up under them, recaulk and retighten, no more nasty stuff!

For the HDS, I have not experienced any of those issues you mention. I mounted the transducers per the specs from the lowrance install manual.

For the depth, you have options in the menu to change to different types of formats. Go to the Sonar Menu and check if it is set to General Use or other stuff like shallow water, deep water, ect. Unless using for specific purpose, General use is best to cover a wide range of situations.