Having Starting Issues? File This Info Away for Later

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
OX-66 V6 Engine. Starter problems. Bendix would not engage the flywheel. It would spin, but not kick out far enough to crank the engine. What did I do? Spent alot of money unnecessarily. I bought two new batteries. New Starter. We're up to $500 bucks here now. I put in the new starter, and still all the Bendix drive did was spin without engaging the flywheel. I called my local Yamaha expert, who was nice enough to take a swing by. He found the problems in under 1 minute. The battery cable that is all part of that thick group of wires coming OUT of the engine and going through the hull was corroded and looked like it was cut. It was only hanging together by about 2 strands of copper wire. So enough voltage to turn the bendix but not kick it out all the way. The boat is 20 years old, so stuff happens. Everyone I asked for opinions said that the cable was the problem most of the time. Just hard to see where the breaks occur.

As an aside, I bought a new Masco starter, which fit perfectly. Seems to be of high quality machining on the outside. Inside the box was a slip of paper that said, "75% of starters that are returned to us have nothing wrong with them". Sort of a caution to check your wiring and other potential trouble spots. Had same issues with my old lawn tractor. Wasn't the starter - it was a safety interlock.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for that reminder hotajax. I battled a similar situation several years ago and it turned out to be the corrosion of the ground cable about 10 inches from the battery. I was lucky enough to have a knowledgable mechanic working at the company I worked for. I told him about my starting problem and I mentioned to him that I had load tested the battery and it was good. He suggested I load test the battery by disconnecting the cables from the end away from the battery and connect the tester there, subjecting the cables to the same load as the battery. Within 3-5 seconds after pushing the load button, the ground cable started smoking a few inches from the battery post. Same thing you experienced. That old guy knew his stuff. The note from the starter manufacturer indicates that a lot of people aren't lucky enough to have their own "old guy".

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What I did was to turn off the battery master switch. I got nice thick 4 guage jumper cables and hooked them up to the starter. Then I connected right to the battery. The starter worked fine. I knew there was trouble when I hooked the positive to positive and left the ground open, and the bendix still turned. Voltage was traveling down the wiring harness. Although it's not fixed yet, at least I don't have to give up my firstborn to have it fixed or wait 6 weeks for the big repair shop in town to get to it.