Having trouble with switches on my 225Tournament.

ewickwire

Reaction score
Having trouble with switches on my 225Tournament. Stern Light works with Navigation Light Switch, but bow light does not. Trying to Install new replacement horn, but cannot get it to work. Unsure if these are wiring or fuse issues. I cannot find a fuse box schematic . Suggestions?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Forget about the schematics, for now. Put your eyes and hands on the fuses - obviousy check them, but pull them out and check for cean contacts, both the fuse and the receptacle. Check for clean contacts on ALL wires (ppos and neg) at the fuse panel and the switches. This means, not just "look at", but remove and inspect. Look for broken wires at the spade, too. You also need to look at the bow eye bulb, itself... along with the wires/connections up there. You can test the switch with an ohm meter or even jump the switch to directly power the light. Owner's manuals don't always have a true schematic but they have wire color coding, based on use - you can use that to figure things out easily enough.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

seasick

Reaction score
Lets start with the horn: You don't need a schematic. You need to test at the horn switch. There should be 12 V present (measured to a ground) on one terminal and no voltage on the other terminal on the switch. When you press the horn switch. you should have 12 volts on both terminals. If so, pull the horn to expose the wires and splices. You should have 12 v across the wires when the horn switch is pressed. It is possible to have 12v on the hot wire but also a bad ground. Did you check that the new horn works? Touch the two wires to the battery terminals just to be sure.
Similar method needed for bow light. In all likelihood as mentioned, you have a bad lamp, corroded lamp socket or bad splices .Test the wires for juice and go from there.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Switch is 3 position, stern light works, but bow does not, when the switch is in 'anchor' mode. What happens in each mode?
What year boat? Wiring has improved, slightly, over the years. I find an easy way to test individual components is to use a small 12v computer battery.

seasick

Reaction score
Bow red/green lights should not be on when in Anchor mode, just the white all around light.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
The bow light fixture, like everyone else said, is the place to start. The bulb connection and socket is the place to start. My bulbs routinely became intermittent and it was annoying . I replaced them with sealed LEDs and it works great now .

seasick

Reaction score
Switch is 3 position, stern light works, but bow does not, when the switch is in 'anchor' mode. What happens in each mode?
What year boat? Wiring has improved, slightly, over the years. I find an easy way to test individual components is to use a small 12v computer battery.
Once again, bow lights should be off in Anchor mode, they are only on in Nav mode. If your bow lights don't light in anchor switch position, they are working correctly. Am I misinterpreting the problem as stated?