HDS Sonar Issue: Update

seasick

Reaction score
Folks,
I have an issue open with Lowrance but they aren't sure what is going on. Perhaps someone has run into this issue.

HDS with transom 83/200 HZ ducer running at 200 HZ. HDS release 4 software. Sonar set to Auto Sensitivity, MAX ping ( 80% sensitivity tried also but same issue).

Sonar normally runs fine at speed and while idling. Every time, I slow down and use some reverse motor, the depth starts to read low numbers like 3 feet to 1.8 feet ( I am in 30-40 ft waters). I suspect and so does Lowrance that cavitation and bubbles is screwing up the transducer. The problem is that the depth never returns to normal readings unless I power the unit off and then back on. I have let it sit for 10 minutes or more, run it in forward at slow speed to medium speed and the depth still will read very low. Power off and on and it reads correctly until the next time I use reverse to slow forward motion.
One support person suggested that the ducer may be bad, the second didn't mention that at all. Unit is fairly new as is the ducer.

The first support rep indicated that powering off the unit physically resets the ducer module. I am not sure if that makes sense to me.
The next step is to swap the head end with a buddy's HDS to see if the same issue occurs.
I also have a depth alarm enabled at 6 feet. That shouldn't make a difference but I will disable the alarm to see if it changes anything.

In a way, I am hoping they don't ask me to send the ducer back. It was a bear to run that cable up into the electronics box and I would have to pull the boat to remove the ducer.

Anyone experience this incorrect shallow reading situation?
Oh, ducer is level and set to the correct depth. It holds bottom up to almost WOT. Ducer is painted with water based transducer anti-fouling paint which I have used for years without issues.

Update:
Lowrance made several suggestions, none of which fixed the issue. Stopping and restarting the sonar would not reset the incorrect depth reading but powering the unit off and on would. I found a section in the manual that mentions a similar issue;

It can sometimes be difficult for a high-powered unit to capture the lightning fast return in shallow water. Turn off the automatic sensitivity setting and manually reduce the sensitivity until the unit locks onto the bottom.

When I go into reverse, the cavitation makes the transducer thing it is very shallow water. The transducer then can not get the correct bottom. Changing the sensitivity to 80% seems to work.

daveuch

Reaction score
Re: HDS Sonar Issue

I too am having the same problem. I have a 228 with Structure Scan and HDS 10 ducers on the transom. The depth changes and i haven't figured out what makes it change. I haven't found reverse to be an issue. Eventually it goes back to reading normally even if I don't reboot it.

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
Re: HDS Sonar Issue

I had 2 Lowrance sonar depth finders on my boat. The depth readings were eratic until I replaced one with a Garmin that uses a different sonar frequency. The 2 Lowrence units were interfering with each other. Check to see if there electronic interferences by shutting down other electronics. Also in reverse you may be getting air/exhaust bubble generation that can mess up depth readinga

daveuch

Reaction score
I went out yesterday and changed my HDS 10 with my HDS 7 to determine if the problem was with the unit. I had the same problem with the HDS 7. I checked my sonar settings and found I was running shallow auto. I changed to general use and haven't had the problem so far. I changed back to the 10 and found the same shallow setting. Going out now and will see if the change made a difference..

seasick

Reaction score
Changing sensitivity from AUTO to some other number like 80% helps. I still can get the incorrect readings after applying reverse thrust but it does eventually reset itself. I also use the shallow water setting but will see if the general use options helps. Thanks for the tip.