Head and pump out

ElMar

Reaction score
Ok, new to me Islander 268, 1999 vintage.

Can someone explain the head and pump out to me the way Grady sets them up?

Very familiar with head and treatment systems on various boats, haven’t had much time to go through this one yet and it’s getting towards freeze season.

This one supposedly has a holding tank with macerator and manual pump head.

I found the seacock under the steps , where is the holding tank?

Also have the control panel pictured below but does not have power? Fuse apears to be good.

Educate me on Grady shitters please.

Oh, and the owners manual is no help.

Thanks. C85B6D7C-55A8-43F2-AAA2-A5A19CDD07F5.jpeg

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
On our boat, the holding tank is under the hatch on the bridge deck. The fresh water tank is aft, and the holding tank forward.

It should be a 10-gal tank, mounted athwartships. It should be visible if you remove the pie plate at the forward end of that hatch.

The Groco tank has an internal macerator pump, operated by that button on the small panel, and discharging through a seacock sort of under the steps going down into the cabin. Have to open the small round access on the lower step to reach down. Sea water to head is to starboard, and macerator discharge to port. Of course, there is a pump out connection in the starboard walk around.

PM me your email address and I'll send you some photos that should help.

And highly likely that the macerator pump is dead. Pull that small panel and check for power. Fed by 25a fuse on the block under the helm.

Reactions: ElMar

ElMar

Reaction score
Thanks.

PM sent.

Do you mind if I post the pics here to help others?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The first thing to go on my head was the Groco switch. I would check to get a confirmation you have power to the switch. If the pump freezes and you switch it on mine woul blow the fuse instantly. That should help with trouble shooting the issue.

Last edited:

ElMar

Reaction score
The first thing to go on my head was the Groco switch. I would check to get a confirmation you have power to the switch. If the pump freezes and you switch it on mine woul blow the fuse inrantly. That should help with trouble shooting the issue.

Agreed.

If I get some time today after work that will be my first course of action.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks.

PM sent.

Do you mind if I post the pics here to help others?

I don't mind, but I've been on this forum since it started, and those pics have all been up here at one time. :) :) :)

Without the explanation, some may be confused by all the other "stuff" in those photos.

Next you'll want to know where and how I installed the inverter, so we can easily use the microwave and small 120vac items underway. And details of the 6,500-BTU reverse-cycle Mermaid Marine Air unit. ;)

Reactions: ElMar

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The first thing to go on my head was the Groco switch. I would check to get a confirmation you have power to the switch. If the pump freezes and you switch it on mine would blow the fuse instantly. That should help with trouble shooting the issue.

See where I bolded that statement. ^^^^

ElMar

Reaction score
I don't mind, but I've been on this forum since it started, and those pics have all been up here at one time. :) :) :)

Without the explanation, some may be confused by all the other "stuff" in those photos.

Next you'll want to know where and how I installed the inverter, so we can easily use the microwave and small 120vac items underway. And details of the 6,500-BTU reverse-cycle Mermaid Marine Air unit. ;)

No need for inverter or air. Have a full gen-set on the Tiara and 2 zone AC.

The Grady will remain simple, we'll as simple as can be.

Thanks for the pics and ideas!

alexiojavier

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
On our boat, the holding tank is under the hatch on the bridge deck. The fresh water tank is aft, and the holding tank forward.

It should be a 10-gal tank, mounted athwartships. It should be visible if you remove the pie plate at the forward end of that hatch.

The Groco tank has an internal macerator pump, operated by that button on the small panel, and discharging through a seacock sort of under the steps going down into the cabin. Have to open the small round access on the lower step to reach down. Sea water to head is to starboard, and macerator discharge to port. Of course, there is a pump out connection in the starboard walk around.

PM me your email address and I'll send you some photos that should help.

And highly likely that the macerator pump is dead. Pull that small panel and check for power. Fed by 25a fuse on the block under the helm.
Greetings sir!

I am having the same issue with my head system. As soon as I turn on the pump, it blows the fuse. Any help would be appreciated!

I know it has been some years since this post was published but if you have any information I would appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Search GROCO on this site. You will find number of posts that address your situation.

Basically what is going on is there is a Groco macerator inside your holding tank. Yes it sounds like a bad place to put a pump and it is but when they work they work well. The motor is probably stuck and if there was a way to turn it it would probably work for a while - but there isn't a way to get to it.

The pump is expensive but they do work well. I don't recommend repairing them. I tried several times and wasted the money on parts and got my hands dirty. Buy a new one or engineer a different system.

Last edited:
Reactions: alexiojavier