Head set up in 2008 283 Release?

LisaN

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 283
Please help a girl out! For the first time I have a head in the boat that has a holding tank (I think) -- where is the tank? Do I need to add the RV stuff to the tank so it doesn't get stinky? Also what water feeds it? (the freshwater tank or is there a seacock somewhere I should open). Thanks in advance, I have only before had the self contained little porta potty set ups.

seasick

Reaction score
Adding an odor treatment is recommended. If you download the owners manual you will see where the tank is loaded in theory. What is almost a certainty is that the tank will be close to wherever the pump out gunnel/deck fitting is located. For owners manuals search for Grady White owners manuals and go from there.

Most likely yours is a sea water flush but it could be fresh water. If sea water, there is a seacock that needs to be opened. If you system has overboard discharge option, there will be extra plumbing and a seacock for that operation. Note also, that if you have a combo ,pump out or overboard discharge) there are laws and regulations about where you can pump out and how you must prevent unauthorized pumpouts. Often that is accomplished bi using some method to prevent an unauthorized person from operating the overboard discharge feature either by locking or tie wrapping the discharge lever or in some instances a key switch to prevent operation.

Fishtales

Reaction score
You definitely want to treat the head. The blue stuff can be found at any marine store. Also use marine toilet paper only and ensure everyone knows not to flush anything other than the marine TP.

There are two types as stated above. Usually with fresh you get the vacuflush head. If it has a pump next to the bowl, then it is seawater. If the latter, you will have 2 seacocks one for discharge and one for saltwater (for the pump). You should have a tank monitor in the head area that has a key for pump out to ensure someone doesn't inadvertently pump overboard. Don't wait for the tank to be full, do it at 3/4 of a tank so you don't have overflow or smell issues (can back up into the vent line).

LisaN

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 283
Adding an odor treatment is recommended. If you download the owners manual you will see where the tank is loaded in theory. What is almost a certainty is that the tank will be close to wherever the pump out gunnel/deck fitting is located. For owners manuals search for Grady White owners manuals and go from there.

Most likely yours is a sea water flush but it could be fresh water. If sea water, there is a seacock that needs to be opened. If you system has overboard discharge option, there will be extra plumbing and a seacock for that operation. Note also, that if you have a combo ,pump out or overboard discharge) there are laws and regulations about where you can pump out and how you must prevent unauthorized pumpouts. Often that is accomplished bi using some method to prevent an unauthorized person from operating the overboard discharge feature either by locking or tie wrapping the discharge lever or in some instances a key switch to prevent operation.
Thank you -- I found the manual and it definitely looks like I need to locate the seacock and that it uses water from that -- so I would open it only when we are using the boat and close when we come back to dock?
You definitely want to treat the head. The blue stuff can be found at any marine store. Also use marine toilet paper only and ensure everyone knows not to flush anything other than the marine TP.

There are two types as stated above. Usually with fresh you get the vacuflush head. If it has a pump next to the bowl, then it is seawater. If the latter, you will have 2 seacocks one for discharge and one for saltwater (for the pump). You should have a tank monitor in the head area that has a key for pump out to ensure someone doesn't inadvertently pump overboard. Don't wait for the tank to be full, do it at 3/4 of a tank so you don't have overflow or smell issues (can back up into the vent line).
Got it! Now I have to figure out how to open the holding tank to put the blue stuff in!

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
you add the "blue stuff" through the toilet. flush it.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Salt water toilet systems always smell worse than freshwater systems, even if you never use them. Salt water is full of micro organisms that eventually die, and cause their own odor. Empty the system as often as is practical.

Reactions: LisaN