Head Zincs

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I thought I should start a new thread with this question so I'm not a hijacker. LOL.

Well, it's a simple as mine don't want to come out. I removed the bolt as shown, but I was unable to dislodge the assembly. Just wanted to make sure that is all I have to do before they should come out. I see the grommets and they look somewhat deformed. My engine survey suggested perhaps it would be a good move to replace these.

Any guidance? Thank you in advance.

Motor is 2005 F225TXIMG_20200527_175734.jpg

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Take a flat blade screwdriver and work it side to side, got to break it loose to get it to come out.

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I just changed mine a few weeks ago. You now have to remove that cap, then there will be a rubber grommet under the cap, and the anode is under the internal grommet. As Ky Grady said above, I would get a flat head screw driver and a small ball peen hammer, and start lightly tapping the cap back and forth. It should come free.

Many times the bigger challenge is getting the old corroded anode out. Again, lightly tap the anode edges with a screw diver as well. Have a small needle nose pliers ready if the anode goes deeper into the hole.

Last edited:

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks guys. So what keeps the anode from crumbling and falling in? And then what happens if it does? Flushable?

eppem

Reaction score
I take mine out every spring and wire brush off any salt. Also replace every two-three years. A friend who is a Yammy mechanic suggested a thin coat of marine grease on the gasket. Never have any issues removing now.

The screwdriver tip should work for you. Good luck!

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'm sure that this will become routine for me once I have done a couple, but I'm still a little apprehensive up front.

"You now have to remove that cap, then there will be a rubber grommet under the cap "

Are you saying to pull the bolt with the red mark on it too? So, where am I hitting it with the screwdriver?

And again, what happens to the little bits that fall into the hole. There are going to be some given that there are 8 of these and they may not ever have been done. I gave them what I would call a moderate wiggling with a needle nose vice grips, but no movement. I'm guessing that this is the water jacket, so can I just d-con one of the hoses and flush the crap out once I'm done?

Sorry for all the newb questions, but I really want to be careful with this one. I'm just about ready to splash, and would hate to lay the thing up!

Last edited:

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
A kind offer - thank you. Is evening EDT OK? I'm on West coast and at work.

Scott

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Check PM,,,left you my number also. Easier to walk you through it talking to you.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks, guys - your guidance is very much appreciate. I ordered the parts, and once they get here i'll dig in.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
DO NOT remove the bolt with the red mark.

That is for anyone else reading this.

I use a large punch that just fits in, and using a friction fit, just wiggle that a bit, anode will come out. No gouges, no teeth Mark's from pliers. A bit of grease is a great tip. Makes checking them easier.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
I used a large flat blade screwdriver and strategically pried back and forth until they broke free, then needle nose vice grips to pull. Do NOT stick a round bar in the bolt hole and pry, the housing is weak and will break. I had to order one after learning that lesson... The annodes are cheap, replace vs. brushing them off...

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Now I'm getting fired up! I can do this! I just KNOW I can! And doggone it, people like me! :)

I still won't break my cardinal rule preventing tearing into a project before the replacement parts show up though. Not going to happen. I have learned that one the hard way at least once - probably more.

Thanks again to everyone for insights and especially KYGrady for having a chat with me about how to attack these little buggers...

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Now I'm getting fired up! I can do this! I just KNOW I can! And doggone it, people like me! :)

I still won't break my cardinal rule preventing tearing into a project before the replacement parts show up though. Not going to happen. I have learned that one the hard way at least once - probably more.

Thanks again to everyone for insights and especially KYGrady for having a chat with me about how to attack these little buggers...

My pleasure. If you run into trouble, reach back out.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
This isn't bad - not sure what I was worried about, but thanks again for the help. 15 minutes in and I'm done with the first bank - 6 more zincs to go. They actually look OK to me - not sure this was necessary after all... 8^)

Attachments

• IMG_20200601_181649.jpg
    IMG_20200601_181649.jpg
    586.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200601_182857.jpg
    IMG_20200601_182857.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200601_183348.jpg
    IMG_20200601_183348.jpg
    753.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited: