Heading South for 10 day fishing/hunting trip!

Got Grady?

Reaction score
By the sea by the sea by the beaut.......
Hey a couple of buddys and myself have 4 gator tags to fill down at lake Okeechobee. We are dragging along my boat to do some offshore fishing for at least half the trip. Leaving out Friday night and the plan was to go to the east coast and hit the gulfstream for dolphin and other pelagics. Well the forecast is looking grim now on the east coast so thinking we might should hit the Fort myers area instead. I have fished nearshore only over there and have no idea where to start. If anybody has made the trip and has good info to share that would be great. I also would love to buddy up with another boat if anyone here is in the SW Florida area. By the way how far offshore do you guys consider safe on a good day in a 228 Seafarer. I have never been out more than 30 miles in a boat under 30 feet but know of others that go out as far as they want in boats the size of mine. I used to take my 20 foot center console offshore with no worries and it seems the seafarer is made for the task of going however far your fuel will take you and get you back with some to spare. If this is not the case and we should stay within a certain distance from shore please feel free to set me straight. I do have a 406mhz epirb with gps as well. Another thing I have is a liferaft but I dont ever take it along. My understanding is that my boat wont sink even if upside down. Is that true or should I be carrying the liferaft with me. Remember we will only be fishing for a few days so feel free to share a number or two with me if you feel so inclined. :lol: