Heading to the coast - take .. 328,608 ;)

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
So, all cleaned up and ready to go. Heading out tomorrow. Should be in Port Aransas, TX around 1pm-ish tomorrow. May do some bay fishing that afternoon, but Sunday is looking awesome for a little further out.

Fausto, Mr. 28 Marlin (I call him that.. heh....owns a 90-something 28 Marlin), will be along with his uncle. We plan to hit the rigs and see what all we can catch! Hope to have some great pics and even better fish! I also plan to take the drone and an underwater camera so my son can explore heh... goes down like 50ft... but the recordings will be with the phone looking at it.. heh

See you all in the evenings when we dock!

Russ

Attachments

• IMG_4148.jpg
    IMG_4148.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: family affair

Fishtales

Reaction score
Giddy up and good luck. Share pics of your trophies please.

Reactions: RussGW270

mhinch

Reaction score
Good looking set up right there. Good luck and give us the fishing report.

Reactions: RussGW270

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Oh lord.... sooo many lessons learned, all good... heh

I like my decks cleared of "stuff"... and on my bass boats, heck.. even my bay boats... there was always SO much storage.. but it amazes me how fast storage goes away when you go offshore! lol It does not help when you look around and go, "where's ,y rigging box?" heh

I am used to the plano boaxes.. the flat white / clear ones.. and the old clunky tackle boxes like my dad used. I was so proud when I re-arranged one for weights, one for hooks, one for rigging... and then left the rigging at home.. heh. Thank God I still had some rigging stuffed in one and the rods set up.

2 smaller rods spun. The backing was not catching. Re-doing those lol.

The rigging was for trout.. would have been fine on smaller fish like Vermillion, not so much when the big boys hit....and they hit.. and broke :p

Somehow the fight belt did not make it in... so helping my son catch was a chore till I set up a bent butt. I seriously need to figure a better plan for him as he has a hard time reeling...but will learn. He is small, so it is pretty awkward at times with a good size fish ;)

I need pouches.. and to take a dozen of whatever I need, not an entire box of weights with 80% I will never use...I had surf weights in there ffs.. lol.. they were organized.. but not essential :p

This is why this run was a good test. For the first time, I had more fun helping my son fish than just being out there .. heh.. Thank God for Fausto, the other Grady guy that was there. I was able to sit back and watch him drive and see that he was doing the same things I was doing and seeing. After 20 months of fighting with this boat, and having an "engineer's mind"... all I do is see the broken and try to fix it.. vs just driving. I drove most the way back but had to have him take the wheel towards the end as my mind was too fixated on why the heading sensor was off.. lol.. eh.. it is how I think. I was finally able to get a feel for how this thing rolls.. my other boats.. a roll would have capsized lol.. so, did not feel it like this thing as it is so much taller.

Time.. just need time.. until then, eh.. will just leave an hour earlier and expect to arrive a little later is all... I do not care. it's about getting there and getting back...not what time I get there :p As I told him, you want to go faster, take the wheel ;) and THAT ... I have zero issue doing if the person is experienced.. heh. No pride here.. all about safety. Me, I was happy doing 25mph :p

It is also nice when someone that owns a Grady can sit in that seat and go, "yea.. I see what you mean... it is acting up..."... helps make sure I am not imagining it.

Anyway, I have a list of things to accomplish before snapper season.. and we plan to do a lot more fishing now. God, is my boat dirty... I am ordering salt-away right now, and having it on hand....those engines are getting a griggin fluuuush.

I may even forego the a/c a couple months to get the Simrad heading sensor instead. my MIND was thinking "bearing to heading" but the stupid heading sensor was throwing me off... once I focused on only the bearing to my compass.. I was fine.. but does not mean I cannot fix that too lol

R

Attachments

• IMG_4172.JPG
    IMG_4172.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4181.jpg
    IMG_4181.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4187.jpg
    IMG_4187.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4186.jpg
    IMG_4186.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4183.jpg
    IMG_4183.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4188.jpg
    IMG_4188.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4191.jpg
    IMG_4191.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4199.JPG
    IMG_4199.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4200.JPG
    IMG_4200.JPG
    224.1 KB · Views: 0

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
lol! I saw that after I uploaded it. Not sure what the heck happened there, maybe exposure.. a bounce for sure.. was a bit bumpy ride :p

Well, I say bumpy but.. not in the real sense... the water was really beautifully calm, but we had her doing about 4900 rpm and were messing with the trim tabs. My son took that one...heh
I am told the fish are Chub fish.. i.e. not Porgies.. so.. probably garden fertilizer heh.. but, Nathan had fun catching them so we will pretend they are good and swap them out with Snapper filets until he catches something else;)

Last edited:
Reactions: igblack87