heated cuddy

jehines3

Reaction score
I bought a heater buddy and love it. It has O2 depletion sensor and I have a CO monitor on the boat. I have not slept with it on, but it has helped with my winter projects. I've run it for two hours and the CO alarm never went off. I should note that I have a cabin solar ventilator and louvered cabin door. I would not mind sleeping with it on though, this is no different that an unvvented gas stove in a house as far as the CO goes. My dad has a fixed propane system on his boat with 10lb cylinder. It is in an overboard draining locker and sealed from the cabin. Propane on boats is not uncommon. Look at all these camping stoves and heaters for use in RV's and Tents, you must use good judgement. That said I have two little kids and the likelihood of sleeping with a heater on in the boat with them is about nil. jh

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you guys ran to return your Mr Buddys on Tiderunner's post, Home Depot has 30-50% off sale on portable heaters, so you can go back and get a bargain at it. You may have to go to several different Depots to fiind a good selection.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
How about Grady owners with kids in high school?

Here's two hints, give it to them to take to school and ask.

1. It's not CO.

2. 18%

dheywood

Reaction score
I agree with Brian

I don't know why you guys keep buying these Grady's with drink mixers hanging off them. Thats why I own an older Grady with a stern drive. Cabin heat is never a problem just run a little hot water up from the engine.

TBone

Reaction score
I dunno.....

C3H8 + 5O2 → 3CO2 + 4H2O + heat

until O2 begins to depletes, then

2C3H8 + 7O2 → 6CO + 8H2O + heat

and that would occur in a completely air tight chamber, but you
would run out of O2 in that chamber breathing with out the the heater.

Oh Ya and the heater shuts off incase the O2 level did
happen to decrease.

Am I close?????

jehines3

Reaction score
Yes, we need greater than 18% O2, free air is about 21%+/- and my confined space entrance meter goes off at 19.2% Generall the O2 is displaced by something though usually in this case, CO.
jh

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
And what Grady cabin door is good at sealing anything out/in but bugs?