Heavy Oxidation Removal

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It's chalky, and white comes off on my fingertips, esp on the top of the cuddy cabin. Any suggestions for a good product to use in a hand application to prepare the surface for a good waxing afterwards? I already tried Meguiars 44, I find that it is not aggressive enough to do a throrough job. Collinite's, 3M? Thanks.

alashley

Reaction score
hotajax,
I used a product called Aquatech Polishing Compund from the local GW dealer (Crocker's). It is a little more aggressive than Collinite 920 boat cleaner. After that, try the Collinite 925 Heavy Duty Fiberglass wax. Be sure to use an orbital polisher which has enough power to warm the wax and make it flow into the porous surface. If the surface has been stripped too much a second application may be required. Finish w/Collinite 845 Insulator wax. I know this seems to be double work, but the 845 puts a hard surface on top of whatever is below and is resistant to wash off. I use it on the gunnels and the fish parts and blood wipe off.

Reel Sharp

Reaction score
I am in the process of removing oxidation on mine as well. So far I am using the 3M compound and it is doing a great job. I am using a large Makita orbital sander/polisher with multi speed and it is looking shinier than I thought it would be. It is a chore to say the least but it looks really good. I am going to go over it with the 3M finesse next.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
NC Guys - Thanks

Can't wait to get down to Buxton for the redfish out of the surf.

dadsgirl

Reaction score
I used 3M marine restorer & wax one step. The label said for heavily oxidized finishes. This stuff actuall works, but requires a lot of elbow grease. I applied it by hand covering only about a two foot square area at a time. After I was done I applied a top coat of wax. Made our 1988 Seafarer look almost new again.