Hello and trailer selection help needed

Uncle Binky

Reaction score
Hi to all -
Just closing purchase of a 2005 265 Express this week, and am oh, so excited. The boat comes w/o trailer, and I will need to tow it home to Seattle from Boston. The broker I'm buying through has offered to sell me a Venture or Sea lion trailer at his cost, but I have heard mixed reviews about both. Any insight from those who trailer their large boats would be appreciated. What do you have, and how do you like it? What would you do differently if you had the chance? I don't really want to run up and down the East Coast buying a trailer, but we tow a lot, running 160 miles or more to launch. I'd rather spend a bit more for a trailer with good components. I currently tow a Continental, and other than a few expected brake issues, it's served me well for several years. Thanks for your help.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
First - Congratulations on the purchase....you will love the boat.

Both Sea Lion and Venture are lower end mass produced trailers....although Venture has a new lineup out - the Commander Series) that is supposed to be a bit higher end.

Most of the custom trailer manufacturers (Sport Trail, Owens and Sons -Slide On, etc...) are in the South....getting one to Boston on your time schedule is probably not going to happen, so you may be limited in your options.

If time wasn't an issue, I'd go Owens but that's personal preference....I've owned 4 of their trailers...pricing is about the same as a mass produced trailer and you get a trailer custom fit for the boat.

Uncle Binky

Reaction score
You're right about getting a trailer from the south up to Boston - seems a lot of manufacturers don't have dealers in the Boston area. I'm waiting for a few quotes from area dealers now. Wish I had a good reason to get down to Fla - might buy one there and run up but for the expense and hassle. I have had many successful years with the Continental.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I agree with Parthery's comment about Venture and Sea Lion (add 5-Star to the list, which is Load Rite's "value" trailer). They are all price-point trailers typically carry price-point build quality/reliability/components and customer service. An excellent semi-custom trailer company is ShoreLand'r - well built, and uses top-quality materials/components.

However, since you're buying a new trailer... I would highly suggest buying from a company that is near you is Seattle, in case you have any issues. Either way, it's always good to buy local. Get the right trailer and take it along with you to Boston.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I bought a Load Rite "Elite" about 2 years ago. Because I don't trailer a lot and I don't go into salt water, I didn't upgrade on a few items, but did on others. Buying from Pirate Marine in Ohio netted the best deal I could find and he set up the trailer for an additional $75. Worth every penny IMO. The tongue weight was perfect and the bunks were also spot on. He also ships all over the US. I also thought the pricing for options was very reasonable. I paid extra for:
- deluxe bunk system. IMO marginally less support than custom, but way better than most standard bunk systems.
- radial tires balanced. Radials give the best ride, run the coolest, and have the least rolling resistance. Balancing reduces wear on bearings and axles.
- led lights. Most agree led ' s are less prone to failure than incadecents. I even leave mine plugged in while dunking.
- frame mounted spare tire. Out of the way when you need to walk the trailer for loading.
- guide poles. I can load this baby solo in minutes! Centers perfectly on the trailer every time even with wind and current.
- drop jack. Seems silly, but worth the extra $50. I only have to crank the jack about 3" to take the trailer off the truck. We'll built and sturdy too.
- swing tongue. Makes the trailer about 3-4 feet shorter. Not sure if they make one for your size trailer, but nice to have to give more room if stored indoors.
- synthetic rope or straps for the winch are fabulous! Easy to handle.
If you trailer regularly, I would also consider the stainless hardware, stainless brake systems, and tinned wires with grounds.

Congratulations on the boat and good luck getting her home!

LastChance

Reaction score
Also bought a Load Rite Elite triple axle (15,000 lbs) with almost all the options. Purchased from Beacon Light Marina in Baltimore, then shipped to Bellingham WA by a hauler contracted through U-Ship. Originally looked at Owens and Sport Trail but abandoned the idea of southern mfrs due to difficulty of getting trailer to Baltimore. Load Rite ordered with 2 spares, Vortex Hubs, ST235/80R16 E tires and wheels (balanced), 3 axle E/H disc brakes (not stainless), guides, LED lights, shrink wrapped wiring, drop leg tongue jack. You NEED to order the appropriate Titan brake control module for a specific truck.

21848430008_6426ff2821_b.jpg

Click here for full size photo:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/633/22017805616_21ebecd939_o.jpg

Here is more info regarding the purchase and shipment:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21764

For more info on trailers, contact Chris Pine (or a sales person) at Beacon Light. I have specs from Grady for all boats, needed for sizing a trailer.

Hope this helps.

TUNAHUNTER197

Reaction score
Not to throw a wrench in the mix, but did you see the 265 for sale in Seattle with 2010 250's? Comes with a trailer, in your backyard and is about the same price as the one out in Boston. I don't have any affiliation with this sale, I own a 2000 265 and always keep my eye out on them. I am in SF if you have any questions PM me.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2000/Gr ... habNPlVhBc

Uncle Binky

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I'm waiting to hear back from Load Rite and Loadmaster dealers. I'm glad to spend the smart money now and save headaches later. LC - your trailer is set up very much like my current one, and the way I'm having the new one spec'd. I will be requesting a price from UShip if I don't hear back soon from a boat hauler that I have used previously. Having it shrink wrapped, as well. We'll see what happens next.

Uncle Binky

Reaction score
Yes, TunaHunter, I did see the one in Seattle, but not before doing the deal on the one in Boston. Thanks for pointing it out, and thanks for the offer of advice. I will likely be picking your brain while I get my feet wet with the new ride. No regrets - the one I'm buying is truly pristine, has about 350 hrs total time, and has yet to be fished. Both of my kids go to school on the east coast, so it's not as far to me as others in our time zone. We may use this as an opportunity to drive across the country (again) and visit friends along the way.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I bought a new venture trailer for my 272 sailfish. I bought the trailer from EMI marine in PA, no one could touch their prices and I was coming back from that area on a trip to the outer banks, so it was worth it for me. Venture is a lower end trailer, but I only tow 3-4 miles 2-3 times a year so it was not worth the extra expense of a different trailer. I bought the biggest tandem trailer with just over a 10,000 gvw. Although even the dealer said it was the right trailer for the boat, the triple axel might have distributed the weight a little better over the axels.

I would not buy a trailer from the Boston area if you are traveling in anyways, not the best prices around here. If you are going to trailer a lot beyond the trip home I would buy a nice trailer, but for what I need one for the Venture is perfect for me. There is a trailer dealer in Mashpee who has a lot in stock on Cape Cod. He is around the corner from my families house, runs out of a small shop. He is Road King and I think was around $5,600 for a new one tandem axle.

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/bod/5217968606.html

I paid $3700 for the venture, defiantly not the quality of some of the others, but like I said for my limited use perfect for me. The picture here is the first time I loaded it before I got the boat adjusted better on the bunks. I had to move the axles as far forward as I could and got the transom within a foot of the bunks which Grady and the dealer said was correct.

Uncle Binky

Reaction score
Looks like I'll be ordering a new Continental CTA2813B with all the bells and whistles. After a while, even I get tired of splitting hairs and just need to move on. I looked at a lot of nice trailers, and talked to the guys at Owens, but the Conti is only a week out and that fits my delivery schedule. Thanks for the advice.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Uncle Binky said:
Looks like I'll be ordering a new Continental CTA2813B with all the bells and whistles. After a while, even I get tired of splitting hairs and just need to move on. I looked at a lot of nice trailers, and talked to the guys at Owens, but the Conti is only a week out and that fits my delivery schedule. Thanks for the advice.

Have them swap the Tie Down brakes for either Deemaxx or Kodiak. Continental charges a small upcharge as the axles come from Tie Down with the brakes typically already installed. You will be happier in the long run.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If it were me, I'd put the boat on a truck and have it shipped to Boston thru somebody like U ship.com and let them worry about all the fuel, interstate permitting, mountains etc. then buy a trailer locally.

I recently bought one from the Trailer outlet in Tilton NH. They are lower priced trailers but I found mine to be perfect. It was 1000.00 less than anybody else. Also the owner, Joe has a 25 Grady Sailfish that he tows back and fourth to Cape Cod so he has great experience und will understand your needs.

Good luck with the new boat !

Uncle Binky

Reaction score
The trailer will be ready to pick up tomorrow. I didn't have to pay extra for the Deemax brakes, just the E/O setup. BTW/ I just found out Florida is gonna stiff me for the sales tax even though I've gotta turn around and pay it in WA, as they don't have a reciprocal agreement. I remember when I bought a motorcycle in West Palm Beach a cop threatened to impound my bike I had just bought if I didn't get a hotel room and find a tax collector the next morning. He actually went way out of his way to follow me to a hotel, as it was late at night and he was intent on me paying tax on a bike that was to never see that state again. Didn't Jesus lose his temper with the tax collectors? Clearly he wasn't from Florida.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Binky, be sure to check on the sales tax. FL has a form that can be filled out to exempt you from having to pay it there....you should be able to just pay it in WA. The form number is "DR-123". Your trailer dealer should be aware. You fill it out and it gets notarized. It goes in his file for the audit.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I can't speak for Florida, but what is said above about forms is 100% true for PA. I've worked in the marine industry for over 25 years and it's not uncommon for us to sell boats and trailers out of state. There are forms we need filled out for our end to show why we didn't collect tax. Then we provide the customer with notarized copies of the bills of sale (separate ones for boat and trailer) and they they then take that to their DMV and pay the sales tax when they register the boat. As mentioned, check with your trailer dealer that you're buying from - they should be well aware of the process.

Uncle Binky

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the information regarding the form - I will forward this on. It was the sales gal at the boat dealership in Miami that informed me of the tax bill - hopefully I can move her in the right direction with this info.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Continental makes a decent trailer and it should serve you well. I've owned two over the years and they did their job. Sounds like you've owned one before and therefore are comfortable getting another one.

Are you going to FL first or are you having the trailer shipped to Boston?

Uncle Binky

Reaction score
My current trailer is a Continental and I have been very satisfied with it, in fact, pleased. I have had to replace a few calipers and a rotor or two over the last 10 years, and of course I've done some wiring - but nothing I'm gonna complain about. I'm hoping that the new Deemax brakes are all they say - this is my first E/O system on a boat. I bought it from Miami Trailer - couldn't be happier with their level of service so far. As far as the tax issue goes, I've got it worked out that the tax I pay in FL will apply to my tax bill up here. My wife arrived in Miami tonight, and will pick up the truck, grab the trailer, and head for Boston in the morning.

Attachments

• Trailer 1.jpg
    Trailer 1.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 1,372

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I too dealt with Trailer Depot of Miami on a Continental some years back. They are good people.

I'm curious...did you rent a truck in Miami or did you also buy a truck there, as well?