HELLO GW LOVERS - a possible new owner has a question.

dadamitis

Reaction score
Hello Grady Lovers,

I am a beginner boater. I have rented pontoon and sport boats quite a few times over the years but consider myself a very new beginner boater. I am considering getting serious an dhave been looking very hard at the Adventure 208. I have of course been getting alot of information and advise from everyone but if you have some time could you give 1-2 reasons/feedback on GWs or the Adventure and/or maybe a comparable boat if you would buy something other than a GW (never right?!). I am not a fisherman and would mainly use it for cruising on the Fingerlakes in Upstate NY. I appreciate your time and honest feedback in cementing my decision on a GW. THANK YOU - david.

Drifter80

Reaction score
I have a 226 and I've been in love with it since the day I bought it. For a 22' boat it rides far nicer than it should. Its very dry, very solid, very predictable, and maybe a bit sloppy at slow speeds due to the hard top acting as a sail. I've had it in Lake St. Clair and two of the great lakes and its been a joy to own. I've done some tinkering with mine and I've noticed the build quality of this boat is wonderful. I do wish it was a bit bigger. I am friends with someone who owns a Grady White Offshore and its causing a bit of nextboat-itis for something a few feet bigger.

Another friend of mine has a Whaler Conquest 235 and that is also a very nice boat if you want to look at something other than a grady. A Pursuit Denali is a nice boat too...

Average Joe

Reaction score
I have had my 208 Adventure for almost seven years and love it. I use it for fishing and family cruising and it serves those purposes well. In addition to the quality and customer service that are selling points for all GW's I give you the following.

Positives IMO:
It's not too big for one person to handle
Big enough to handle most conditions you would consider going out in or are likely to be caught in
Big cockpit for a 20' boat
Cabin provides secure, dry storage(lots of it), pottie for the girls, bunks for napping, refuge in a sudden storm or rain shower, dry ride at the helm.
Can be easily trailered with 1/2 ton truck
Plenty fuel capacity
Able to use it for tubing/skiing
Freshwater shower
Insulated fish boxes can be used as coolers

Things I wish mine had:
Hardtop
More HP

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What Average Joe said....great boat for a beginner, safe, stabil, easy to trailer and launch and retrieve even when alone. I have the hardtop and more HP (200 Yamaha 4 stroke) which just makes a great boat even better. You will love it but if you decide to buy, make sure you get someone to teach you to trim it out using the engine and trim tabs (very easy to do once you get the hang of it) and by all means take a boating sfety course. Of course you just may get 2-foot-itis and want to move up a size or two.

Bread

Reaction score
I had a 17" Boston Whaler as my 1st boat and now have the GW Overnighter. The whaler was a great boat but with the cabin and larger size of the 208 you cannot go wrong. What engine/yr is it?

F18amec

Reaction score
I own an '08 Adventure, it is my first boat and I love it! I use it mainly to fish, but have done a couple of day crusies. It is the perfect family/fishing boat.
I also did lots of research before I jumped on board with Grady. After I did all my research I had it down to either the 208 or Welcraft 210. I was lucky to attend a boat show where both boats where on display. Quality of constuciton, better design, cockpit lay out and a bigger cuddy made Grady the easy choice.
As far as seaworthyness, she is solid as a rock! I've been out in 4-5 foot seas and she took them with no problem and we where dry! I can troll or cruise of hours and use minimal gas. I can get 2 or 3 fishing trips, each of which is about 5-6 hours, and the motor runs 80% of the time before I burn 1/2 a tank, roughtly 40 gallons. I have a Yammy 150/4 Stroke and it is very fuel efficent and amazingly quiet. But I am of the same opnion as Joe, would like more HP. I think a 200/4 stroke is a better match for the weight of the boat.
I have a bimini top with side curtians, I am happy with it, althought the side curtians can be tricky to put up, espically when you out and starts to rain, as Joe and I both know first hand! Launching, recovery and towing is a snap and takes no time at all to master.
Hope this helps, go Grady and you never regret it!

Rick
Capt. Huki Lau2

leek

Reaction score
If you are doing mostly recreation boating I would recommend the Tournament series, much more flexible for adding folks on a nice summer day to your cruise or water sports activities. If you are doing offshore fishing the cuddy or walk around do have some decent advantages. I have several hundred hours on a T225 and can assure you that it is a great all purpose boat. I have a 2000 38 Sport Fisher that I would let go before the T225 :)

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
There is some wisdom looking Grady's dual console line. I had the 192. It was a great boat for rivers and lakes. The open bow makes a great place for sunning or fishing. I now have a walkaround and the cabin does offer shelter and you can button up the helm nicely in cold weather, rain and so forth, especially with a hard top. Welcome aboard and have fun finding your boat.

striped bass

Reaction score
Since your intended use is cruising, you should definitely sea trial the 208 as well as a 228G. Both are manageable on a trailer. The 232 Gulfstream is also a good option but this is a beefy hull and would be difficult to trailer but I recommend that you sea trial it as well just for a comparison. GW boats are serious machines so check out the PM and day to day operating requirements. The GW is a big step up from a pontoon boat.

Keep us posted.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 208, my sentiments are the same as those on the post from Average Joe above. It is a great boat, and I would add one thing - very easy to handle on and off the trailer with a stern line and bow line. Am not one bit sorry I got it. Good luck, you can't go wrong unless you want to bring all the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders with you - not much room in the cuddy for a rodeo.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
hotajax said:
Good luck, you can't go wrong unless you want to bring all the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders with you - not much room in the cuddy for a rodeo.

Interesting though!! :wink:

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you are considering the Adventurer, there is no 20 foot cabin walkaround made with more boat than the Grady in 20 ft of length, and everyone esle copied it. Period.

If you were asked to pick just two boats made by anyone to define success in walkaround fishing boats that created entire legions of offsprings by others, is this model and the wide beam Sailfish, for entirely different reasons.

If not for those two models only, Grady would not exist today, IMHO.

I don't work for Grady.

Grady208CT

Reaction score
You don't need to hear any more positives on the 208 or GW in general. GREAT BOAT. One additional benifit to owning a GW is this forum. Lots of guys who love their boats, take pride in owning a GW and take the time to post replys here. I am sure that owners of other boat MFG's have forums, but I can't imaging anything better.

I posted a question several days ago (I smell gas) and I was blown away with the many, many infomative responses I received. These guys are smart.

Only recurring comment I see is make sure you are not underpowered. I have a 200hp 2 stroke and my 208 get up on plane and cruises easily at 30 mph.

mad dog

Reaction score
I have an 02 208 Adventure with 200hp Yamaha 4 stroke. I got my GW three years ago, and I couldn't be happier with my choice. I do both fishing and cruising and the Adventure has handled all conditions nicely. It's perfect for fishing with all the room in the back, and I have had two recent trips with the family to nearby destinations with no problems at all. I would definitely go for the 200 HP if you can. I have a friend who has a newer Adventure with a 150 HP Yamaha and it doesn't perform nearly as well as my GW with the bigger engine.

One thing is for sure. If you get a Grady, you won't regret it. I have been super impressed with the quality of construction, and the few times I have needed help, this forum and GW's technical support have been terrific.

Good luck on your quest.