helm a/c

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The one vendor tech email I reached out to very explicitly didn’t want to help me size a pump, citing “too many variables” so I figured I’d be better off trying to copy the newer grady setup.

While helm air is important to me, I don’t think I’m going to worry about the head - agreed, too much hassle to get AC there.
Give me the size of your 2 AC units. I’ll have you the pump size tomorrow. I know the guy that calls on Grady for Dometic.

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Let’s assume it’s a 10k below and a 12k up top. I’m trying not to change the through hull which I -think- is 3/4 but not positive on that.

Current AC cooling line is 5/8 but I’m not positive of my strainer size as the label is gone.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
You are correct. You have a 3/4” thru hull . You don’t need to change any of that. The larger pump has the same intake size. You will tee off after the pump. You may want to put shut off valves after the tee in case you need to isolate an AC unit For repairs.

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Well, I kept measuring, I've probably spent 2 hours out on the boat with a tape measure... I'm leaning towards a webasto unit, and their dimensions are a bit wonky, I'm just not 100% positive the 12k will work. I think I'm going to have to go with their 10k unit instead, which has a slightly smaller footprint and is more or less "guaranteed" to fit.

Anybody out there with a newer 330? I have questions.... :)

Last edited:

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Well, I kept measuring, I've probably spent 2 hours out on the boat with a tape measure... I'm leaning towards a webasto unit, and their dimensions are a bit wonky, I'm just not 100% positive the 12k will work. I think I'm going to have to go with their 10k unit instead, which has a slightly smaller footprint and is more or less "guaranteed" to fit.

Anybody out there with a newer 330? I have questions.... :)
Call Shaun Hall. He’s the Webasto Guy. Tell him Russ Johnson told you to call. He’ll help with pump size too. 941 356-8954

Stampr

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My ac guy that works on my 56' gave me a price on my 05 330 grady said major job , so he sold me a Marine Dometic 16000 roof top at his cost $1400 and had a rv tech install it only 6 hrs , works great and looks okay , a little noisy but nice and cool , i enclosed my cockpit and put the 90% mesh Velcro on the inside .

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I'm about a third of the way done, just trying to find a newer boat to do some measurements and verify their size of the vents. I would prefer to buy the whole revised cupholder panel with vent cutout from Grady, but need to double check the exact dimensions since it's different on all sides. (obviously I can trim my upholstery to fit if that is the only difference) If theirs won't work I can always get a custom acrylic or starboard panel made, but I do like the way theirs is set up.

I went with a 10k because I was nervous about size - if it turns out not to be enough capacity I figured I can always swap this for the 20 year old unit in my cabin and try try again. This one fit like a glove, and I don't foresee any big issues with the rest of the install. Easy access from the "pump room' down below to run the cooling water up/down.

I'm installing a cold plate in the drink box right next to it at the same time, so lots of work going on through that access hole, but if I can fit my fat head through there anybody can.

Here's my 2002 layout (with my 10k btu AC set in place) vs the 2020. I really need the width of the bottom of that newer panel to know which way to proceed.

Attachments

• older_grady_AC.jpg
    older_grady_AC.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 34
  • newer_grady_AC.jpg
    newer_grady_AC.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I'm about a third of the way done, just trying to find a newer boat to do some measurements and verify their size of the vents. I would prefer to buy the whole revised cupholder panel with vent cutout from Grady, but need to double check the exact dimensions since it's different on all sides. (obviously I can trim my upholstery to fit if that is the only difference) If theirs won't work I can always get a custom acrylic or starboard panel made, but I do like the way theirs is set up.

I went with a 10k because I was nervous about size - if it turns out not to be enough capacity I figured I can always swap this for the 20 year old unit in my cabin and try try again. This one fit like a glove, and I don't foresee any big issues with the rest of the install. Easy access from the "pump room' down below to run the cooling water up/down.

I'm installing a cold plate in the drink box right next to it at the same time, so lots of work going on through that access hole, but if I can fit my fat head through there anybody can.

Here's my 2002 layout (with my 10k btu AC set in place) vs the 2020. I really need the width of the bottom of that newer panel to know which way to proceed.
If you decide to do away with your current insert with the drink holder and fire extinguisher. Please sell it to me. I desperately need a replacement. I can help you get the newer one from Grady. They have been a very good customer of mine for 30 years. I also have access to the guy that makes all their starboard cabinets and doors.

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If you decide to do away with your current insert with the drink holder and fire extinguisher. Please sell it to me. I desperately need a replacement. I can help you get the newer one from Grady. They have been a very good customer of mine for 30 years. I also have access to the guy that makes all their starboard cabinets and doors.

Usmm, you’re certainly welcome to mine if the new one from grady will fit for me. If you’ve got any connections, let me know what you can find out!

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I’ll see if I can get the 3D drawing tomorrow For the newer vacuumed formed insert With AC grill Built in.
Brown Towles at Fin-Addict 919 989- 6813 makes all their starboard cabinet work. He could make you a custom one if the vacuum formed unit won’t fit. My insert has yellowed and has cracked from the weight of the extinguisher.

Last edited:

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I’ll see if I can get the 3D drawing tomorrow.

That'd be amazing. Ideally I need as much info as I can get on it, but I think measurement F is really the critical one for me. From the photos I have, I just can't tell if grady widened the space between the cabin door and the fold down seat. If they did, it was only an inch or two, but that inch could be enough to rule out the new panel for me.

I find myself amazed that the boat has stayed so similar for 18 years. I'm hopeful that as they modified things here and there, they also left most things alone so that they could re-use existing tooling. I will say that I wish I had many of those improvements, but not to the tune of $450k. :)

Attachments

• newgradyac-need-dimensions.jpg
    newgradyac-need-dimensions.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 17

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
That'd be amazing. Ideally I need as much info as I can get on it, but I think measurement F is really the critical one for me. From the photos I have, I just can't tell if grady widened the space between the cabin door and the fold down seat. If they did, it was only an inch or two, but that inch could be enough to rule out the new panel for me.

I find myself amazed that the boat has stayed so similar for 18 years. I'm hopeful that as they modified things here and there, they also left most things alone so that they could re-use existing tooling. I will say that I wish I had many of those improvements, but not to the tune of $450k. :)
Try $600k Rigged out! The entire deck cap was retooled for the 2008 model year which started in July 2007. They moved the rope locker hatch to the side so they could move the windless back. That way the line drops into the deepest part of the fore peak. They raised the helm area lounges on port and starboard 4 inches so you passengers can see better. They raised the windshield so tall people are not staring at the top frame. They lengthened the fish box across the back. They rearranged the helm And allowed for helm AC. And most importantly they completely revamped the Gen set access To make it more user friendly and waterproof.
Other then that. The boats are pretty much the same. They discontinued wood transoms and stringers in 2015 and 2016. They did that more for marketing then quality. Balsa cored hull sides have been an issue, but not stringers and transoms For the most part.

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Grady customer service came through! Based on these dimensions, I don't see any reason why this panel won't work for me. Going to try to get my local dealer to price it.

Attachments

• grady-insert.JPG
    grady-insert.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 17

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Grady customer service came through! Based on these dimensions, I don't see any reason why this panel won't work for me. Going to try to get my local dealer to price it.
10F4C804-6F41-43F3-87F7-37CB10F7012C.jpeg10F4C804-6F41-43F3-87F7-37CB10F7012C.jpeg
Here is the measurements on my 2002 330

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
That 13” width measurement 20 1/2”’s up from the Deck is the critical one. Your drawing does not include that. Remember. On The boats built after July 2007. That flip up seat is 4”’s higher off the deck.

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks USMM, that looks right to me. Still haven't been able to get the part # or a price from Grady. That 13" measurement though, what are you looking at as the limiting factor for that? Isn't that just the upholstered backrest? (which can certainly be trimmed)

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks USMM, that looks right to me. Still haven't been able to get the part # or a price from Grady. That 13" measurement though, what are you looking at as the limiting factor for that? Isn't that just the upholstered backrest? (which can certainly be trimmed)

what is your E measurement in your picture on April 20th? That is critical. There is a protrusion there that the folding seat mounts to. that measurement on my boat is 13”. What is it on the new style insert?

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330

do you have the measurements that go with that picture?

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
what is your E measurement in your picture on April 20th? That is critical. There is a protrusion there that the folding seat mounts to. that measurement on my boat is 13”. What is it on the new style insert?

USMM, I see your concern here and I agree it is a tight fit. No, I don't have the exact grady measurement at the midpoint - from the image I've got, my best guess extrapolation is that at the midpoint (15.6" from the bottom) the new grady unit is 12.9 inches across, it grows another 0.1-0.3 as it goes up, and then it jumps approx ~1.5-2" wider when it expands at the 17" mark. I got that from some creative sketching on top of the diagram they sent me, but my figures definitely not exact, I'm not even positive what size their vent is.

Based on the dimensions and funny shape, curved edges in every direction, I am not sure I see any way to really figure out if it'll work without a template or the piece itself. My measurements on the boat are similar to yours, and because of the radius going to the cabin door, and the radius going to the seat, there's an easy 0.1-0.2" on each side that is also a little fuzzy.

I don't HAVE to have the new plastic piece to make this work - I can certainly just trim 4" off the upholstery and flush mount a grate. But I like the overall look and layout of what Grady has done on the new boats so I'm hopeful the piece isn't priced so high that it's impossible to try this out.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Maybe go to a boat show or local dealer and see if they can give you info on the equipment used and how to install. As a last shot, reach out to GW Customer Service and see if they will provide sizing, manufacturers and routing information. They usually are quite helpful.