Helm air

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the 12v Cruisair Cuddy ac? I'm wondering if it is strong enough to cool my Marlin helm area with the curtains down. The add says it will run 4 hours on two group 31's. Since I don't have a gen, I have lots of room for batteries.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
No experience with these units.

But a couple of suggestions/questions:

1. When they say "..run 4 hours" do they mean continuously in cooling mode (i.e. compressor running)? If not, what duty-cycle percentage are they using?

2. When they say ".. on two group 31s" are they using 50% of the capacity, or are thy draining them down to where the unit kicks off (usually at 10.4 volts). If they are using too high a draw figure, then the batteries will not have much life.

3. Are you going to add these batteries to the charging load on your current system? If so, how?

4. It appears from the info on the web (Dometic) that the unit is water-cooled. So you will have to add a through-hull/seacock, or tap off a current seawater source.

For background, I installed a Mermaid Marine Air 6,500-BTU Reverse Cycle A/C unit in our Islander. We can run it on shore power, or with the Honda EU2000 when away from the dock.

Brian

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
All good questions Brian. Here's a little more info. I only need 2-3 hours of cooling for the runs back from Gulfstream or cruising to Southport in the hot part of summer. If this unit will cool us off a little in the helm area I'll figure out the rest.

I have factory air now but I've been told a portable honda won't work as it will cut off in moderate seas plus it needs to stay dry.

LI Grady

Reaction score
I hate to say it due to the expense and hassle involved, but it sounds like you'd be better off adding a genny. I have an 1990 Marlin without one and it is on the "wish" list.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A/C

I use a cruise air 5K on my Marlin and it keeps the cabin real cold. How would you mount the unit when running? Its not designed to stay in the hatch when running. Hit a large wave and it will come through the windshield. It works well with the cabin door closed but as soon as you leave it open for awhile the cabin warms up. Generator seem to be your only solution.

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
This unit is not the one you mount in your hatch. It is a normal marine a/c unit that gets its power from a 12 volt battery bank It uses an inverter to convert to AC. Cost about $2600. Would have install expense and cost of batteries. Added all together it would not be anywhere near cost of genset.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
GW is looking into helm a/c for the 300. They are even considering offering a retrofit if it is technically and economically feasible. If they offer it in July it would be hard to resist :lol:

My theory is:

a) They are responding to customer feedback
b) They are looking for work to fill factory downtime
c) They are trying to shut me up :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS: I got your email last week. Did you say your boat is berthed at Seapath? We need to meet sometime this Spring. We can start a Marlin Appreciation Club. :wink:

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
megabytes said:
GW is looking into helm a/c for the 300. They are even considering offering a retrofit if it is technically and economically feasible. If they offer it in July it would be hard to resist :lol:

My theory is:

a) They are responding to customer feedback
b) They are looking for work to fill factory downtime
c) They are trying to shut me up :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS: I got your email last week. Did you say your boat is berthed at Seapath? We need to meet sometime this Spring. We can start a Marlin Appreciation Club. :wink:

Hey mega, try using some of your influence to have them come up with a retrofit fold up deck panal over the genset. As far as the helm A/C, I was looking into running a piece of duct up to the helm with a blower fan to help push up the cool air. Im still in the plaining stage for that one. :wink:

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don't know about any "influence" but I suppose I am a squeaky wheel.
They are investigating the possibility of some factory refurbish and maybe custom work. Nothing concrete yet but if it comes to pass you could certainly look into having that done.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
GMAN -

didn't Grady come up with a solution for the gen cover already, called a Chesapeake?

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hey,Bob....I saw the 29 at the Tobay show and to me the boat seems a bit smaller then the 300. Still a nice boat but one of my biggest gripes is everytime I service my gen I have to cut the seal and unscrew it from the deck. A bit of a PITA. Would LOVE to see a retrofit deck hatch thats watertight with gutters and hinges.

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think that retro would be an excellent offering. If the dealers offered an upgrade, would definatly be on it. That is about the only thing that I don't like on the marlin. I'm sure next redesign it will be addressed, but an upgrade offering would be sweet.

seabob4

Reaction score
If anyone is still interested in the Cruiseair (or MarineAir) 12V system, I've installed 6 systems so far. 3 Group 27s will give you 8 hours of cooling time. The biggest issue would be the location of the unit, i.e. the room for it. It's not big at about 19 X 10 X 12. The inverter is pretty small and can be mounted on a bulkhead close to the unit. We use a separate 3-Bank ProMariner charger with our install. If you have a big enough boat with no Genset, there is plenty of room for the batts. Other than that, the install is exactly like a 120V system. Pick-up, strainer, pump, unit, and control panel.