Helm Chair Wobble 2006 Sailfish

vinpaa

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My Grady came with the Pompanette helm chairs, I dont mind the actual seat and cannot justify upgrading yet. My issue is that the captains chair wobbles/rocks when running. I have the seat up one level in order to have adequate visibility. It does not rock when all the way down, but then I cannot see over the bow as well. I have tried shimming the pedestal and even adding a thru-bolt but I have not been able to fix the wobble. Has anyone fixed this or does anyone know of a replacement pedestal that I can install? I don't mind buying new pedestals but would prefer to buy complete new chairs. When running 2-3 hours offshore with autopilot the wobble is quite annoying. Thanks all.
IMG_7324.JPEG
IMG_7326.JPEG

IMG_7325.JPEG

Sailfish

Reaction score
Can you pinpoint the source of the wobble? It likely isn't the base, so it is either the connection from the pedestal to the base, or the pedestal to the chair.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
When its down it doesn't wobble because all weight is sitting on top of the lower tube. Aside from replacing the pedestal with a solid tube of the perfect height, you could possibly insert a slice of tubing of the same ID/OD as the lower tube. So the weight is resting on it instead of adjustment pins or bolts.

Chairs and pedestals and sliders are sold as separate items so waiting to buy new chairs isn't a concern.
well...I guess maybe you want to get the height right for the new chair?

PS. I'd be interested in buying a chair...

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
You can try the Arrigoni pedestal extenders if you’re running with your pedestals at max height right now. They add 6” and do not wobble.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Its the pedestal mount. Adjustability has its price long term on the mounts. One quick fix is determine the height you want. Get a fixed 12" mount and cut down. Did this with my new chair and problem solved. Another option is to try to tighten the existing mount. Good luck, I wasn't able to do this much.

vinpaa

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thank you all for the responses. I'm down to replace the pedestals, does anyone know which model/manufacturer is an easy swap?

Reactions: reelserious

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
If you can't located the insert and you don't use the slide you can insert a plastic shim from the home dump. That's the way mine is right now until I find another option. That seat flopping around when it's choppy is a PIA.

vinpaa

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you can't located the insert and you don't use the slide you can insert a plastic shim from the home dump. That's the way mine is right now until I find another option. That seat flopping around when it's choppy is a PIA.
I am not sure I follow. I tried adding a plastic shim between the sleeve and the pipe, but it didnt work. How did you get yours to work? Do you have any pictures?