Helm chairs on the 282 Sailfish

Cocoliso VI

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Has anyone found a good solution to the tight squeeze problem with these chairs. I like the boat a lot, but what the hell was Grady thinking when they designed the space between chairs. They must have used 90lb models to walk between them. The guy at the dealership told me some folks have gone as far as cutting off the armrests. Well I'm not going that far, but its really frustrating when a rod is screaming with a fish on and you try and jump back there and get hung up on the armrests. So if anyone has found a fix for this please post it. Even if it means changing out the original chairs. If you were able to modify the originals explain how and post some pics. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue, all posts are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Some options:
1.) Cut off the inside arms on both chairs. I think this is the best option for low $. Those arms do nothing but get in the way. The covers had issues anyway. Initially I was going to take them both off my two chairs.
2.) Remove the port chair and replace with the companion seat. It is lower than the chair and has no arm, thus passage is easier.
3.) Remount the chairs more toward the starboard and port. You would need to add a piece of starboard under or do some filling.
4.) Get a custom leaning post/chair assembly for the helm. I would have loved to sell the helm chair and have a better designed smaller folding leaning post or combo leaning post chair along with the companion seat.
5.) Dump it and get a Marlin. I chose this option.

I agree it was a poor helm design. The newer 29 is suppose to address this issue, but honestly why have a 29 and a 30 both with beams that you can't legally trailer in most states. I think that is insane. The best option is is to sell te 30 and make a 33 or 34 walk, but nobody asked me.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The chairs can be quite frustrating - In addition the fix that Grady came up with for the discoloration issue on the arms made the situation worse. The original covers had a hard plastic feel and althought the area was still tight you coud slide by. The new rubber arm covers are like magnets to tee shirts - they grab the shirt and hold on as you try and get back to the fish. Have not figured a fix - thought about the arms coming off but I think that would have it on set of issues in addition to not looking good

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
what i did was to remove the armrests, My 98 sailfish all i had to do is remove the screws> I dont know if grady changed the chair design between mine & yours. Without the armrests is definately much better

Cocoliso VI

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks for the replies. I really like the idea of a 30 Marlin but my marina will not accomodate the wider beam inside the barn and it would have to be stored outside and that leads to an insurance issue. I agree that the best option is to remove the arm rests but the wife has not approved that yet. I also considered moving the pedestals outboard but that will interfere with the chairs rotation this could be an option but I haven't taken measurements yet. I know there are some aftermarket chairs that are narrower, the Ft Lauderdale boat show is coming up soon i will look there for other options.

Cocoliso VI

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
ahill said:
I have a Sailfish.
The only solution is to buy a Marlin.
Yeah the Marlin will solve that problem allright. That option is still open, in the meantime i'll squeeze between the chairs. I'm in the pocket too Ahill keep mine at Sailfish good bunch of guys there.

ahill

Reaction score
Cocoliso VI said:
ahill said:
I have a Sailfish.
The only solution is to buy a Marlin.
I'm in the pocket too Ahill keep mine at Sailfish good bunch of guys there.

As an old Miami guy I keep mine at Homestead Marina.
Thinking of bringing it back up in the spring. 300 mile round trip is getting old.
Sailfish is a great spot. Spent a lot of time there over the years.
What's the dry storage rate?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have the bucket seats and it's not that bad to get past them. I was thinking about replacing the passenger chair with the companion seat, anyone that has the seat see it as beneficial? It's lower than the chair, fitting 2 on it would be tight (but adveritsed as a 2 seater) and you can't twist around and see the action on the deck. On the other side I'l like to hear the pluses.

Cocoliso VI

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Good choice Ahill Sailfish is a great place nice and close to the inlet. I used to be at Riverwatch but when I got the Grady Sailfish Marina was about half empty and I was able to get a spot. They are in the high 400's for boats like ours. If i did get a Marlin it would have to be outside, 9'6" is the widest beam they can handle on the inside racks.
Grog are the bucket seats confortable enough? I have looked at some aftermarket ones that might work. Right now I'm thinking about modifying the armrests to try and gain a couple of inches on each side if it works I'll be happy with that.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'd definitely take a bucket over a ladder-bar without the armrests. Most of the time I use the chair as a leaning post. When I sit in the chair, the top of the windshield is right in my line of sight.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think the companion seat is the best option for the port side. No arm rests and 1 adult and 1 child can sit there. It is lower though, but on my Marlin nobody seems to mind. Another option is getting a small leaning post designed that could be placed at the helm. You could still have the seat if needed for cruise and for resale, but drop the small leaning post in when going fishing.

I was thinking of something like this - LP-20. Maybe even do a custom that is 16 or 18". I am thinking of this for my Marlin.
Basically use the post on fishing trips and the seat for cruise. I'd store whatever I wasn't using in my dock box or car when not in use.

http://www.arrigonidesign.com/leanpost.htm

Leaning Post - 20'LP-20 Retail $379.00
The perfect choice when replacing only one seat - also great for fly bridge application. Our 20 in X 13in.D dimension easily replaces any single helmseat and again custom sizes are always available.. Colors, Pure white, Off white or Light gray. Call for custom colors.
LP-20 $379.00

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Fishtales said:
I think the companion seat is the best option for the port side. No arm rests and 1 adult and 1 child can sit there. It is lower though, but on my Marlin nobody seems to mind. Another option is getting a small leaning post designed that could be placed at the helm. You could still have the seat if needed for cruise and for resale, but drop the small leaning post in when going fishing.

I was thinking of something like this - LP-20. Maybe even do a custom that is 16 or 18". I am thinking of this for my Marlin.
Basically use the post on fishing trips and the seat for cruise. I'd store whatever I wasn't using in my dock box or car when not in use.

http://www.arrigonidesign.com/leanpost.htm

Leaning Post - 20'LP-20 Retail $379.00
The perfect choice when replacing only one seat - also great for fly bridge application. Our 20 in X 13in.D dimension easily replaces any single helmseat and again custom sizes are always available.. Colors, Pure white, Off white or Light gray. Call for custom colors.
LP-20 $379.00

What does the companion seat look like? I just got my a Sailfish and was thinking of maybe changing the port side seat. i would like for 2 small children to be able to sit there. I think the arm rest chairs are nice if you are only ever 2 people but who ever only has 2 people. For me it will be rare.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi
Go to GW's website and look at the 290.
http://www.gradywhite.com/290/
There are a few pics that show it. If your's does not have it, it can be ordered and installed by your dealer. You should be able to see the helm chair here or on ebay to defray some of the cost.

Cocoliso VI

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Fishtales was that an option on the 282 Sailfish I don't recall ever seeing one setup that way.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Better be sure the companion seat is acceptable to the person sitting in it before your order it. The queen hated it on the Tigercat.

Fishtales

Reaction score
It is an option. while bigger, it is lower than than the helm seat and not adjustable. Best to find one with the seat and check it out.