Helm Cover

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I used to have a Grady Seafarer that had a helm cover similar to one in this pic. It would easily and quickly snap around top edge of windshield and around and down behind seats to floor, and completely cover helm area. I've been searching for a similar cover for my present offshore model, and have not found any info on them. Is anyone aware of a supplier for these, or is this most likely an item I'll have to get a local canvass person to make?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have one on mine. The material is obviously very old, it's stiff, but still strong. I have assumed that it is original, but I'm not positive on that. I can look and see if there's a manufacturer's tag on it.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
I have one on mine. The material is obviously very old, it's stiff, but still strong. I have assumed that it is original, but I'm not positive on that. I can look and see if there's a manufacturer's tag on it.
Thanks, Dennis. Appreciate it.

JeffN

Reaction score
At one point I think they were offered as an option a few Gradys had them here. There have in the past been threads here about folks buying direct from the original subcontractor. I think the threads were about tops. IMO you might just be better off finding a local shop and have them make one up for you. Probably be competitive with factory if indeed they are available.

PS This turned up in a search for "new canvas". Go here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20863&p=127848&hilit=new+canvas#p127848 Thanks to Fishtales post this is the company I remember people discussing. You might give them a try and get a local price too.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
JeffN said:
At one point I think they were offered as an option a few Gradys had them here. There have in the past been threads here about folks buying direct from the original subcontractor. I think the threads were about tops. IMO you might just be better off finding a local shop and have them make one up for you. Probably be competitive with factory if indeed they are available.

PS This turned up in a search for "new canvas". Go here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20863&p=127848&hilit=new+canvas#p127848 Thanks to Fishtales post this is the company I remember people discussing. You might give them a try and get a local price too.

Thanks, Jeff.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
No luck, VW. If there was ever a tag, it is long gone -- not even a trace of it left.

If it helps, I won't need the cover till the Spring - I could mail it down to you. It would save you hauling the boat to an upholsterer. But the downside is the upholsterer won't guarantee the fit.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
No luck, VW. If there was ever a tag, it is long gone -- not even a trace of it left.

If it helps, I won't need the cover till the Spring - I could mail it down to you. It would save you hauling the boat to an upholsterer. But the downside is the upholsterer won't guarantee the fit.

I sure appreciate the offer Dennis, but I have a marine upholster nearby that has done some nice work before for me on another Grady.