Helm Master Ex Joystick install

quantase

Reaction score
Has anyone installed the Yamaha Helm Master Ex Joystick themselves? It looks like a plug and play. I tried to install the joystick on my GW 235 while on a trailer, but it seems to not be linking up. All the rigging looks good. The yamaha display recognizes that the joystick is in place (I see the joystick listed in the devices). The joystick lights up blue when the power is on; however, when I press the "joystick" button, it just blinks blue a couple of times without staying a solid blue and the wheel locking up (which I assume is what suppose to happen when working properly). I have been testing the outboard (F300) in a big tub full of water to start it up. Anyone experience any success? Thanks.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
helm master for a single engine, no thruster?

Coastboater

Reaction score
No personal experience, but from reading elsewhere the model/capability of the ECM at the helm is critical.
Not sure if links to other forums are ok to post here…
Sent you a pm, I think…:cool:

Last edited:

quantase

Reaction score
No personal experience, but from reading elsewhere the model/capability of the ECM at the helm is critical.
Not sure if links to other forums are ok to post here…
Sent you a pm, I think…:cool:
Thanks for sending me the link. I will look through it.

Reactions: Coastboater

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
sorry if i am coming off rude, but whats the point of a helm master on a single engine with no thruster? one throttle/transmission and one engine to steer. it wont do anything that a human cant do. it would make more sense to just put a speed knob on your wheel

• Sad
Reactions: Peter A

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Got to disagree, that is the boat set up where EX joystick control might be most useful. Every driver should be able to dock the boat in all conditions without a joystick, for sure. But if it makes it easier I have no problem with that. Other features including set point and controlled drifts are feasible with the capabilities that come with the joystick. Depending on the fishing those features might be better or worse than a bow mounted trolling motor. Perhaps somebody has a disability that makes it easier, or a boating partner that is less proficient. Expensive for sure but boating for most of us is a hobby and tools that make it easier and more fun are cool. Not a substitute for proficiency.

Reactions: A&J Outdoors

quantase

Reaction score
I plan to use the joystick mostly for the stern fishpoint and drift. I didn't want to place a trolling motor and add more weight to the boat.

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I plan to use the joystick mostly for the stern fishpoint and drift. I didn't want to place a trolling motor and add more weight to the boat.
Figured that, would love that capability when I am fishing by myself.

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
I have a Fisherman 236 with an 84" Rhodan trolling motor on the bow. It's been an absolute game changer. I removed the head compartement from inside the console and put a single 36V trolling motor in it's place. Again, the trolling motor has been an absolute game changer. We never use the anchor anymore.

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Another point to add - if you fish shallow water you might think twice about the joystick. The shifting in and out of gears is still a metal-on-metal sound that will likely scare any fish around you. Sure, deep water doesn't matter but shallow water does. The GPS trolling motor is deadly silent.

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Just for curioisty, how much is the single engine Helm Master EX cost?

Fishtales

Reaction score
wish i had a quarter every time I heard plug-and-play....

quantase

Reaction score
I fish mostly deep water. Occasionally I go to the shallows.

Anyone tried to install the joystick on the helm master ex themselves?

Ajon

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Did you calibrate the system after install?

quantase

Reaction score
Did not see function to calibrate joystick itself. Just saw thrust level, lock to lock, etc. Is there a way to do that?

Ajon

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
From what I have researched, tech needs to calibrate with Yamaha diagnosis tool.

Fish Hunter

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
As the owner of a Freedom 235 with Helmmaster ex and the joystick I consider it a welcome addition to the boat. I bought the 2022 Freedom 235 new and have used it in the Chesapeake Bay for 2 summers now and have almost 300 hours on the engine to date. I have to say that the fishing hold is not as good for me as was the hold on my previous boat with an electric motor but that boat was only an 18 foot bay boat that weighed 1800 pounds which is much less than the GW and I used it in calmer waters than the GW. The GW does have some difficulty holding the spot when the waves get higher and the tide is really moving and it does make more noise than did my electric motor. However there are other very positive points for the joystick. For me, docking is much easier with the joystick for two reasons: power management is much easier and when you release the joystick the engine goes immediately into neutral. I can't tell you how many times docking the boat I have used reverse to bring the back in and forgot to take the engine out of gear. It is a little humorous to watch the nice deckhand try to hold the boat with reverse still going. Once I got used to the joystick (I am 77 and joysticks are not exactly second nature) it made it easier to dock in almost all situations (back in, side in, and front in) it is also great for trailer loading. Set on low power, you don't have the problem of putting too much power in and running the boat into the dock. At least you will not make a spectacle of yourself beaching the boat on top of the dock. The last advantage is that you don't have to find space for 120# of batteries for the electric motor. I have found other advantages with the system but have rambled on as long as I care to. All-in-all, I am very happy I ordered it with my single engine Freedom 235.