Helm master vs .....

Tazer Face

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
Hello all, first post. new GW owner. I have a 2021 285 Freedom. with the new 300's IDES motors. Currently boat does not have helm master or auto pilot or trolling motor.
I need the auto pilot and be able to hold positions for fishing without physical anchor.
My question is, should I pay the close to 18k for Helm master installed which does all needed or 10k for Garmin auto pilot and a Rodan trolling motor?
Thoughts? pros cons?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Trolling motor is going to require some LithiumFe batteries that will take up space and need to be charged by a special charger.
A 28 is a big boat for a bow mounted electric but idk the performance of a Rhodan.

In theory, the Helm Master also gives you docking manueverability. You're in the pot for $100... call the $1...

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you are planning to fish while Helm Master is holding your position, you will only catch deaf fish. Way too noisy to fish around. My $.02.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I don't know if the noise of the helm master will ruin your fishing (per comment above), but assuming it doesn't impact your fishing, I would prefer it over the auto-pilot and trolling motor.

Tazer Face

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
yeah i don't think it would affect my fishing either, normally fish in 100 plus ft of water. Course never tried with helm master either.

Sauza45

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271
I have the helm master and use it for fishing offshore in 100+ feet all the time. Never hurt my
fishing yet. The auto pilot is great, set my waypoint and go. All I do is look out for stuff in the water. It also slows down when you are getting close. I would not be without it after have it.

Tazer Face

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
I have the helm master and use it for fishing offshore in 100+ feet all the time. Never hurt my
fishing yet. The auto pilot is great, set my waypoint and go. All I do is look out for stuff in the water. It also slows down when you are getting close. I would not be without it after have it.
That's super helpful.. thanks for the comment..

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
To tell the truth, I have never been fishing on a boat with Helm Master. The extent of my knowledge about it is standing on the fuel dock one day and a guy with a 36 foot center console was maneuvering in to get fuel and the commotion it caused was considerable. The noise of the engines shifting forward to reverse made me cringe.

Sauza45

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271
Yes if you yank on the joystick is does make a lot of noise shifting, all you need is a very light touch. For me I set the stern into the wind on my fishing spot engage the fishpoint and it hold me there with little noise/shifting.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I don't have HM on my boat, I wish I did.
A fishing mate bought a new 23' boat ( not a GW) with 300 Yam and HM . When you buy a new boat it is a no brainer. By the time you install hydraulic steering and auto pilot there isn't much difference in price. I was very surprised how well it works with one engine . The spot lock works perfect as well. The noise doesn't stop the surface fish either . We used spot lock about 30' from a Fish attracting device that our Government places about 12 KN offshore.
I'm not sure how well it works if fitted to an existing engine .

Attachments

• Dollies on DevOcean.jpg
    Dollies on DevOcean.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 6

brdawg2001

Reaction score
Based on what I am seeing everyone is using the Rhodan and minkota...no lithium but 3 batteries...Garmin autopilot..