Helm Photo

Meanwhile

Reaction score
Has anyone taken a helm apart for cleaning?
This is my spare helm that I'll clean up and have on hand. I was surprised st how much junk and corrosion was inside. I'm putting a yearly hydraulic fluid on my list of to do items. I always topped off the fluid but had not thought about how much moisture a vented system would allow.Compress_20220326_193935_5457.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
I did mine on myotherboat two years ago. I didn't have to replace bearing just seals and a good cleaning of the check valves.
The job was OK, but as mentioned, take photos of parts and which direction they should face.
I have noticed that if I top off the level and do not leave about 1/2" of space in the fill, when it gets warm out, the helm will overflow and leak down the dash especially with the helm cover on.

Last edited:

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I look at that pic and realize I could spend the rest of my life trying to re-assemble it and I wouldn't even get close.

How do you guys do that stuff? But, I was never interested in taking apart anything when I was young. I'm still not.

No Bail, how's your Dodge Cummins doing?

Reactions: Sdfish and nuclear

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I look at that pic and realize I could spend the rest of my life trying to re-assemble it and I wouldn't even get close.

How do you guys do that stuff? But, I was never interested in taking apart anything when I was young. I'm still not.

No Bail, how's your Dodge Cummins doing?
She is doing great with a new tyranny and new steering box a year ago. Pulls the boat and our trailer fine.

Reactions: magicalbill

Fishtales

Reaction score
Looks complex but repetitive. Figure it out once then it's like washing. Rinse and repeat....

232Grady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I just sent mine to San Diego
Seatech Marine Products, Inc.
Attn: Service Dept.
2608 Shelter Island Dr.
San Diego, CA 92106
Ste 101

Complete rebuild and freight $240.00 3 day turnaround

Reactions: SkunkBoat