Helm Seat Tension Knob

Greyduk

Reaction score
This a picture of the helm seat tension shaft and knob on my 99 223. The knob is cracked and has come off. Has anyone tried to find a replacement for the knob and/or shaft. Thanks.

Attachments

• Seat Tension.jpg
    Seat Tension.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 365

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Is that a Garelick seat? You could try contacting them to see if they sell that separately. But, really, you don't need anything special. Any old knob will work, right? Try a local hardware store - a mom-n-pop type place - my local one must have 15 different styles of knobs... all about $5 each. Heck, I even once made one out of a piece of a starboard - cut it into a circular shape and knurled the edge for a little grip. That was a freebie as I had the starboard laying around and needed a small knob for a confined area.

Greyduk

Reaction score
According to customer service at GW, this is a Wise Ladder back helm chair. I thought it might be a Pompanette chair. But either way I have searched but I have not found a source for the oval shaped handle or handle and shaft.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Wise... OK. Have you tried contacting them directly? It's probably a 5 minute call to see if they still make them. But even so, I'd still try a local place. There's absolutely nothing special to it - it's a piece of plastic mounted on, probably, a 1/4-20 all thread (maybe 5/16-18).

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you can figure out the thread type, I have a couple extra handles from my old Sailfish that might work for you. Email me at:
g0tagrip33@gmail.com
Note: the 0 is zero not an ooooh

Mariner

Reaction score
Or make your own. I drilled a golf ball and epoxied it on. I would attach a photo but I am computer challenged at the moment.

Cheers,

Mariner

Fishtales

Reaction score
Another idea is to find an old boat graveyard, maybe call some marinas in your local area. The firm that makes them likely makes seats for other boats and the part is fairly common. I like the golf ball idea as well....

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It's a Wise seat.

I think you can still get the kit (handle, bushings, etc...) from GW but I may be wrong. I order my parts from Vero Marine. Last time I ordered for the parts for the Wise seats, they ran about $25-$30 per seat.