Helm seat upgrade - 180 Sportsman

Markdelz76

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Has anyone ever replaced their helm seat on a 180? Looking to upgrade since the OEM one sits so low. Thanks!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hard to say without seeing pics - the online brochure looks like it's about normal? Are you trimming properly - or are you running with the bow too high?

Are you trying to go higher... or do you really mean "closer".

But... just make a spacer between the cushion and frame if you're talking about going higher. Or unfasten the frame from the floor and refasten the seat closer if that's what you're after. Replacing it is going to get into big money (other than some cheapie overseas seat, anyways).

Markdelz76

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Hard to say without seeing pics - the online brochure looks like it's about normal? Are you trimming properly - or are you running with the bow too high?

Are you trying to go higher... or do you really mean "closer".

But... just make a spacer between the cushion and frame if you're talking about going higher. Or unfasten the frame from the floor and refasten the seat closer if that's what you're after. Replacing it is going to get into big money (other than some cheapie overseas seat, anyways).
I am talking about sitting higher. The oem one is so low..can’t see over the center console without standing. Nothing to do with trimming or anything. Looks like Stryker makes some higher up

gearadrift

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I have the same boat 180 with the swing back seat/leaning post.
I was looking at new leaning posts/bench seats today at the fishing show in Providence, some nice options out there depending on budget. They have standard models with a few options that are around $1500-$1800 depending if you get rod holders, seat back etc... custom ones with storage cabinet/drawers are spendy.
The boat with the original seat isn't designed to be driven sitting down so when looking at new check the height to be sure it gets you up where you need to be to see. Post some photos if you upgrade.

Markdelz76

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I have the same boat 180 with the swing back seat/leaning post.
I was looking at new leaning posts/bench seats today at the fishing show in Providence, some nice options out there depending on budget. They have standard models with a few options that are around $1500-$1800 depending if you get rod holders, seat back etc... custom ones with storage cabinet/drawers are spendy.
The boat with the original seat isn't designed to be driven sitting down so when looking at new check the height to be sure it gets you up where you need to be to see. Post some photos if you upgrade.
Sounds good! Will do

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'm 6' and if I'm sitting and running it's hard to safely see what is in front of you. I installed a new chair this season and it really works out great. The chair has a flip up front that converts the chair to a leaning post or high chair. The back flips forward so you can use the chair while fishing. I used the factory post height but moved it over to Starboard side (these photo's are before I moved it over to the side). There is no reason to turn the chair around so I gave myself some more aisle space. This is a great chair for a smaller boat especially with a narrow beam. Good quality as well. Several sources - Fishermans Supply, Bass Pro, West Marine, etc.

IMG_2863.jpeg IMG_2864.jpeg IMG_2865.jpeg

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I am talking about sitting higher. The oem one is so low..can’t see over the center console without standing. Nothing to do with trimming or anything. Looks like Stryker makes some higher up
Gotcha.

You coud shim between the seat and frame or even underneath the frame. Maybe you make a box under the frame to create some shallow storage area?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Maybe put a solid pedestal in that is cut to the size you want. Then try the chair or get a new one?

speasm

Reaction score
I had the same problem so I went to a local metal works shop. They do a lot of T-Tops, towers, etc. They welded an extra 3 or 4 inch (??) pieces (4) of stainless steel pipe to the frame. They did a great job!! Never know that it didn't come from the factory that way!! Now I can operate and see everything out front. IMG_0236.JPG

seasick

Reaction score
Years back I used this for my 208. It is a 6 inch extension but I needed only about 2 inches. I cut the shaft of the extension and filed it smooth. Of course it is a fixed length so you can't adjust it once installed but the up side is that you can remove it if you want to restore the seat to its original height. It locks on with a set bolt and does not wiggle or squeak. It is currently twice what I paid back when:)

I was never able to find an adjustable pedestal that would worm on my boat. I suspect you would have a similar case. My pedestal has a flat sided base (D shaped) and you cannot use any pedestal that extends below i=the level of the base since there is a locker insert in the seat base.

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I wanted to turn my 180's helm seat around so I could get a cooler under the seat but before I did I called GW to find out what the clamp screws anchor into. The told me if the seat anchor screws are removed the nuts under the cockpit sole will drop off and I wouldn't be able to re-install the seat.

Sounds like some of you have removed and re-installed the seat, what did you do about the fasteners? Can it be done? Did GW give me bad intel?