helm seats

fearnofish

Reaction score
not sure but are all the pedestals and sliders the same standard size. i'm replacing the two seats on a 1990 sailfish and just wondering if i have to change the pedestal. thanks jay

freddy063

Reaction score
I replaced both of my seats last year, found the same type that were on it and bolted them right on. The two were about $400.00 they didn't come with any mounts/slide, used the old.

fearnofish

Reaction score
yeah i'm looking to put ladder backs with arm rest and i noticed the pedestal mounting plates are not fully round top half cut straight off. plus i don't want to drill new holes.

freddy063

Reaction score
I left the base alone just changed the seat. 4 bolts in the seat it self.

TBone

Reaction score
Not sure if this helps you, but I recently found out the manufactuer

of the ladder back seats on my 1994 Sailfish are Springfield Marine.

They still offer the nylon bushings and slides to update and refresh,

got mine thru a GW dealer.

Boats Rock

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Sailfish and I replaced my sliders. I purchased them from my dealer. And they came with the plastic bushing for the post.

fearnofish

Reaction score
got the price on the seats the other day 675. a chair not including the hardware. they are the same seats off the seafarer. all the grady dealers i called where great except one gave me a problem in toms river nj. it's a shame too, my neighbor bought a brand new grady chase from them a few years back and when he had a problem they treated him like crap. the guy basically refused to help me. he told me that i couldn't replace the chairs with the new ladder backs after i just got off the phone with grady with a model number. they said would work. anyone deal with these people?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You can get a ladder back cushioned seat nearly identical to original from aftermarket manufactures at a lower price. The pedestal diameter is standard. They are very well made, and several manufacturers.

As long as the new seat fits a smooth bore pedestal and not a fluted one, you can re-use the existing pedestal, should the new seat not be offered seat alone for sale.

catch22

Reaction score
This is the same seat that Grady used, (older style). It is not like the newer Pompenette's. The color is pure white, not beige, but imo, it looks fine.
I replaced mine on a Gulfstream, and a friend just replaced his on a 92 Seafarer.
They are $215 each, but $369 if you order 2!

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/167990258.htm

The seat does not include a slider, and if your original slider doesn't fit, this works perfect;

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 00_200-4-9

Also, the description says they will work on either locking, (fluted) or non-locking (smooth) pedastals.

jehines3

Reaction score
I did exactly as Catch 22 stated with the Boatersworld deal. I had Pompanettes and the slides would not move over so I had to get a new set. I got a pair from Ebay for $55 delivered in the fall. I have not mounted the seats yet, but will in about 1 week. With all the yard dirt I'm waiting till the boat gets wet.

BTW, if you have the pompanettes, they want $400 for a set of cushions. The whole seat was worn not just the cushions so a whole seat made allot of sense. jh

catch22

Reaction score
fearnofish said:
thanks for the link just got back from boaters world 395.00 delivered right to my house no shipping. should have them by thursday

There you go. hey, for that price you can't beat it. The only draw back about those seats, (besides the color) is the rear of the back cushion is mesh, not full vinyl. Don't know why they started doing that. The older ones were all vinyl. Not a big deal, I guess.

Like i said, did this on 2 different Gradys and the original sliders did not fit, (bolt pattern). So, if you have to, that link for the Wise slider is the way to go.

beagleboy

Reaction score
would the wise slider fit original helm seats on 1987 228g? how far apart are the slider hole patterns from side to side and front to back?

catch22

Reaction score
beagleboy said:
would the wise slider fit original helm seats on 1987 228g? how far apart are the slider hole patterns from side to side and front to back?

They were different on a 92 Seafarer. The newer Wise slider has a much smaller hole pattern. Don't know about an 87.

No specs, but here's a link for the Slider;
http://www.wiseseats.com/wise_marine_hard_374.html

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Check the width dimension, may be too wide for the 208 to pass between seats.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
seats-mounting plate

I replaced all the hardware on my 92 228G. I went with the Garalick locking slider/swivel and splurged on the Shock absorbers (AWESOME). The Garalick absolutely blows away the Wise and Todd seats and hardware.
I had the same problem with the hole patterns not lining up to the mounting plate (too long and thin) so I bought a piece of Starboard fabed my own mounting plates (you'll need to do some drilling), used the Garalick 1/4"-20 toggles and Wham-o! new seats!

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
seat hardware

I found that the hole pattern on the older seats do not line up with new seat hardware, so I fabricated a mounting plate w/ starboard, mounted the hardware to the starboard, then the starboard to the seat. (Saved myself a ton of $$$! [/img]http://usera.imagecave.com/seafarer228/228grady/SEATMOUNT.bmp.jpg

Amigo

Reaction score
Guys, Silicone lubricant from an aerosol can is an excellent lubricant for both plastic bushings and aluminum. Plus its clean.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
SEATS

You can cut & paste the img. address on my prev. post to see the base. Sorry I thought I posted the image correctly.
SEATMOUNT.bmp.jpg

more pics to come if I can figure it out![/img]