Help..192 Freedom vs. 205 tournament

Msp381

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
So I am debating between a 2012 freedom 192 Yamaha 4 stroke 150 and very low hours and a 2005 to 2007 Tournament 205. I have been on the 205 with 150 Yamaha and was impressed with the ride quality and room, but lacked power imo. I like the head and room of helm etc. on the 205. I have not been on the 2012 192 freedom and was wondering if I would regret the purchase of the smaller newer one. I can’t seem to find any 205’s. They go quick! Can anyone tell me what the ride quality is between the two and is there a noticeable difference in room and handling?

I currently have a 205 Scout Dorado.I liked the Grady-White in choppy conditions and more fishing room than mine.

thanks!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
So I am debating between a 2012 freedom 192 Yamaha 4 stroke 150 and very low hours and a 2005 to 2007 Tournament 205. I have been on the 205 with 150 Yamaha and was impressed with the ride quality and room, but lacked power imo. I like the head and room of helm etc. on the 205. I have not been on the 2012 192 freedom and was wondering if I would regret the purchase of the smaller newer one. I can’t seem to find any 205’s. They go quick! Can anyone tell me what the ride quality is between the two and is there a noticeable difference in room and handling?

I currently have a 205 Scout Dorado.I liked the Grady-White in choppy conditions and more fishing room than mine.

thanks!

Do you need the walk-in head? If so, then there isn’t much discussion.

I’ve owned both...the 205 needs a 200 minimum. Mine had an F225. It will struggle to pull skiers and tubers with an F150. But, it does have more freeboard.

The 192 went away and then GW brought it back. It’s a great Lake/ICW boat, but it’s not going to be pleasant offshore unless it’s really calm.

One thing to note, if you like to run the boat standing up, is whether the throttle on the 205 is too low. I’m 6’3 and had to hunch over to run the boat standing up at speed. Don’t have the issue with the top mounted binnacle on the 225.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
Do you need the walk-in head? If so, then there isn’t much discussion.

I’ve owned both...the 205 needs a 200 minimum. Mine had an F225. It will struggle to pull skiers and tubers with an F150. But, it does have more freeboard.

The 192 went away and then GW brought it back. It’s a great Lake/ICW boat, but it’s not going to be pleasant offshore unless it’s really calm.

One thing to note, if you like to run the boat standing up, is whether the throttle on the 205 is too low. I’m 6’3 and had to hunch over to run the boat standing up at speed. Don’t have the issue with the top mounted binnacle on the 225.

I'm frequently out in my 192 in Nantucket sound and disagree with the comment that "it's not going to be pleasant unless it's really calm." As a matter of fact, it's very rarely really calm in those waters... and I've encountered 3-5' on numerous occasions and she's always been solid and comfortable (albeit sometimes a little bit wet in the heavy stuff like any boat in that range). I've owned other 20' boats and agree that it hasn't been so pleasant on some days on those waters in those boats, but the 192 handles like a much bigger/heavier boat and it's always pleasant to be out on her. I'd strongly recommend that you give the 192 a try MSP before making a decision. You would not be sorry.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I had the 192 ..it's a big 19 footer. The 205 next to it is bigger though only by 9 inches or so. You can't go wrong with either honestly. Like Parthery said if you need the stand up head there is your answer. It's not a 2 footitis question. If you were asking between a 192 and a 225, well 225 all day long.

Reactions: MashpeeMan

Topjimmy

Reaction score
I agree with the 2 above I have had my 192 since 1994 and I have been out in 3-4ft swells and she is solid but anything over that UMMM NO! it is a open bow after all and my 150 2 STROKE Yamie pulls water skiers and tubers with no problem not sure about the 4 stroke 150 BUT given the choice now heck yeah I would take the 205

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

JAdams1

Reaction score
I have a 2007 205 and 100% agree with other posters, hold out for one with a 200hp motor. It took a long time to find the right boat but my patience paid off. The 205's are a very popular size and get scooped up quick. Have you tried searching multiple craigslist listings using searchtempest?

Msp381

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have tried CL. I will try the other. Thanks

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Here's a few:

Last edited:

Msp381

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’ve read up on the Yamaha having exhaust issues but can’t seem to find if the freshwater ones have issues. Just sold mine with a 150 with 800 hours and ran strong still. Never scoped always was in freshwater.