Help ...bought a DeWalt RO buffer need pads

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hey Y'all,. I bought a cordless DeWalt XR 5 inch random orbital buffer . I have a bunch of DeWalt 20 V XR tools so what the heck. My struggle here is finding pads. The buffer came with 5 inch disc with the hook side of Velcro on it. I am missing something here , but where do I find say 5-6 wool pads for compounding ,then foam pads for polishing and waxing? It seems all these pad companies have their own system for attaching pads to polishers . I am a moderately intelligent guy , some say less than , with a freaking master's degree but it seems I might need a PhD in buffing pads to figure it all out.

Note, I still have a 10 inch RO Craftsman polisher I got in college like back in 1992. I use it to wax the boat. I bought DeWalt to compound and polish the gel coat on the interior , under the captains chairs ,the roof of the cabin and the roll off of the gunnel to the rub rail.

I feel like a cave man trying to figure out which pad to buy and how to attach it to the DeWalt . Please help if you can.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Hey Y'all,. I bought a cordless DeWalt XR 5 inch random orbital buffer . I have a bunch of DeWalt 20 V XR tools so what the heck. My struggle here is finding pads. The buffer came with 5 inch disc with the hook side of Velcro on it. I am missing something here , but where do I find say 5-6 wool pads for compounding ,then foam pads for polishing and waxing? It seems all these pad companies have their own system for attaching pads to polishers . I am a moderately intelligent guy , some say less than , with a freaking master's degree but it seems I might need a PhD in buffing pads to figure it all out.

Note, I still have a 10 inch RO Craftsman polisher I got in college like back in 1992. I use it to wax the boat. I bought DeWalt to compound and polish the gel coat on the interior , under the captains chairs ,the roof of the cabin and the roll off of the gunnel to the rub rail.

I feel like a cave man trying to figure out which pad to buy and how to attach it to the DeWalt . Please help if you can.
There is a 6 inch foam adapter pad that you can use but I would probably upgrade to a 6" that screws into the DeWalt. I use Presta pads and backing plates.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Side note... I use a good quality wool pad for everything. I try to keep things simple when I can... like my mind.

Nothing wrong with good foam pads (have always heard good things about Presta, by the way), but you can go down a seriously deep rabbit hole trying to figure out what you need.

seasick

Reaction score
I use Presta pads but a decent set can cost more than the buffer:)
Although you should have three types of pads, two may do OK if you don't have a lot of compounding to do.
A buffing pad and a polishing pad will do fine. The problem is that the pads clog up so it is helpful to have more than one of each type.
For hulls that are in pretty decent shape, I use the polishing pad with a cleaner wax, let it haze over and wipe off the haze by hand with soft cloths or microfiber cloths.
I know some folks at the yard who do just the opposite, apply wax by hand and use the machine to buff off the haze. Both ways work depending on the condition of the old job.

If you need to be more aggressive and use a coarser polish or compound, you shouldn't use any of those pads for anything other than compounding since it is just about impossible to completely clean the pad after use and some grit will always remain.

By the way, I hate polishing but not as much as hull sanding!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
8" pads are typically used for compounding and waxing. 3M's polishing system. There were some 5" foam pads on Amazon. The 5" orbitals are used more for sanding.

Joe Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Tigercat
You can get 5.5” lake country pads for it. I get mine through Auto Geek in Florida, they always seem to be on sale. The one on my machine is the foam wool pad, I would also recommend the orange foam pad for polishing gel coat.
Good luck! 7BD2F7AC-DEE8-4B63-B332-3E0B79A21530.jpeg

Reactions: drbatts

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I have been using the lake and country pads for years. The smaller ones are great for getting the tight areas around the railings and cockpit.

Punchline Cap

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
I use Groit’s products both on my car and boat. Can be bought online or any Auto Zone store.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Use the chemical guys. 6 inch hex pads. All different cuts. Velcro attach. Super.