Help! CAN NOT find fish finder Transducer ?

Roadworker

Reaction score
I have a 1991 228 seafarer, bought boat in 1995 owner had 1994 Lowrance x70a installed back then.

Now since i got boat in 1995 never had problem now machine is not working . I would like to change the whole setup.

I looked from any kind of thru hull and can not see anything, ( only thing on bottom of boat is fittting for salt water wash down ,and a second plate which looks like a zinc plate are something which connects to battery.

I looked in most places for a shoot thru transducer and no luck, does anybody have an idea where i can look for it.

thanks

seasick

Reaction score
Did the sounder ever work??
Could it have been a transom mount at some point?

ocjoy

Reaction score
Sometimes they are mounted inside the hull. Remove your two deck plates in the rear of the boat and see if you don't have a transducer mounted to the inside of the hull.

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Roadworker said:
I have a 1991 228 seafarer, bought boat in 1995 owner had 1994 Lowrance x70a installed back then.

Now since i got boat in 1995 never had problem now machine is not working . I would like to change the whole setup.

I looked from any kind of thru hull and can not see anything, ( only thing on bottom of boat is fittting for salt water wash down ,and a second plate which looks like a zinc plate are something which connects to battery.

I looked in most places for a shoot thru transducer and no luck, does anybody have an idea where i can look for it.

Where are you in Long Island? If your out East I can take a look.
Bob

thanks

Roadworker

Reaction score
yes unit has always work untill this year, i did not want to pull boat out of water so i replaced unit with another Lowrance that would fit plugs works abit better but not right.

Now that i pulled boat out of water i see no transducer mounted on hull other then what i spoke about in first post.

I did check the front deck cover and rear and no transducer, but i did not check deck hole where gas tank is located.

This is crazy though.

thanks

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Try working you way back from the head unit. Trace the transducer cable to see where it goes. If it's not a through hull or transom mount the only other place is shooting through the hull.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yea, it sounds like a thru-hull. Follow the cable from the unit like Strikezone said and you'll find it.

ahill

Reaction score
The flat plate is probably a Dynaplate for grounding electronics, batteries and misc. Good thing to have.

QuickFix

Reaction score
transducer location

I had to remove the live well to find it on my 87 228. Agravatting design on these 228 livewells IMHO.

Roadworker

Reaction score
UPDATE

OK i followed the wire from the main unit all the way back, I took out the live fish box.

Now this is really messed up, the wire runs down BELOW "i guess would be called bottom deck of boat."
There is no way to trace wire from that point , as seems like wire was ran when boat was built .
Also there is nothing on bottom of boat where a thru hull would be.

Has anybody seen this before ??

I am thinking to just leave it alone and buy a new fish finder and transducer.

thanks

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yep. Sounds like it is an in hull built in during manufacture. I had a cat hull with a 1kw transducer under the deck and it was faulty. We contacted the factory but they couldn't garantee were it was . So even if we put a hatch in the floor there was no way to be sure it would solve it.Plus lots of added expense.
We ended up going with a new digital FF and transom transducer 600w. If you are not fishing in deep water (over 200ft) then that's the easiest and simplest fix. If the current ff works just get a transom mount ' ducer.

I must say i find it frustrating working on boats were they have installed all these systems but really they are working on the margins of what is possible in a small boat or else they haven't thought thru the "what if breaks" scenario.