help !! could it be bad ignition if engine just cranks

against the wind

Reaction score
hi all... let me start from the beginning... I was always shutting of the batteries with the ignition switch in the on position.. I thought that the OFF position [which is the left] was the axillary and the ON position[ which is the center] was the OFF [dont ask LOL].. so i went to start my boat the other day and i just got a strong crank but no start.. I checked for a spark and did not have one.. Is it possible that i burned out the ignition switch I always thought if the motor cranks the ignition switch was working.. I have a 1999 yamaha 200 ox66 SS 2 stroke.. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED THANK U

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Assume you mean you were turning the battery switches off after the motors were shut down, right? I don't think there could be any problem in that case -- you're just shutting off voltage to whatever is still powered when the AUX power is still on, no different than what turning the power off at the key would do.

Kill switch sounds like a good suspect.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
also neutral safety switch... make sure your shift is in neutral.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Had same issue once and it was the key switch. Dealer figured it out in 10 minutes.

against the wind

Reaction score
ok... i checked the lenyard switch, i took out spark plugs and check for spark.. i had spark. then i check for a fuel problem. started at the bulb had gas then i followed the fuel line to the fuel filter on the outside of motor had fuel there.. then i went to the VST cannister took off the top hose leading to the intake maniflod NOTHING no fuel coming out.. so i was thinking a clogged VST filter. here's were it gets tricky .. I figured while i got the VST filter out let me check the fuel pump. i hooked up a battery to the pump and i didnt hear any sound that the pump makes before you start the motor.. nothing at all.. would that indicate a bad fuel pump ? :bang

against the wind

Reaction score
hi ... i found the problem after a long search... it was the fuel pump !!!!

Captain Tom

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
May be related question.
Just got 94 Adventure with 200 Evinrude and there is no kill switch either separate integral to the ignition switch. I'm getting power to the starter motor, so the neutral switch is set right. But doesn't appear spark to plugs. Same symptoms as would have if a kill switch was installed but not set. Did Grady not install kill switches on 94 OMCs?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
May be related question.
Just got 94 Adventure with 200 Evinrude and there is no kill switch either separate integral to the ignition switch. I'm getting power to the starter motor, so the neutral switch is set right. But doesn't appear spark to plugs. Same symptoms as would have if a kill switch was installed but not set. Did Grady not install kill switches on 94 OMCs?

Grady White Customer care is really helpful tracking these kinds of questions down.give them a call.