Help! Cuddy Cabin Mod 228 seafarer

jadco001

Reaction score
I have removed the monkey fur and will be replacing the carpet in my cabin, 228 seafarer, has any one (painted) or Gelcoated the inside of the cabin with much success? I dont want to go back with Monkey fur, but like the clean look of gelcoat for the roof.

any sugestions?

bc282

Reaction score
jadco001 said:
I have removed the monkey fur and will be replacing the carpet in my cabin, 228 seafarer, has any one (painted) or Gelcoated the inside of the cabin with much success? I dont want to go back with Monkey fur, but like the clean look of gelcoat for the roof.

any sugestions?

Wow, not an easy job to pull out the headliner carpet and the residual adhesive. tuff enough doing it on a bench waist hi, can't imagine having to clean that stuff up working overhead and cleaning it up enough to prep to paint.

I definitely suggest painting over gelcoat. Paint will be easier and cheaper to install and easier to maintain. How smooth did the prep finish? if not very smooth, consider a textured finish like spray-tex on walls/ceiling of a home.

jadco001

Reaction score
Thanks

i need to make sure that what i put up will be flexable. i was thinking white bedliner spray of spray gelcoat.

richie rich

Reaction score
you can try putting in a real headliner, like a car. Spary tack in a thin layer of headliner foam, and then install something like Sunbrella fabric which comes in a gazillian colors these days....just an idea.

uncljohn

Reaction score
those are good ideas. I redid my barrier coat 2 years ago and would have a little left over after each coat, and I used that to paint the helm areas where I pulled the monkey carpet out. Looks darn good! Of course, i wouldn't suggest buying $180/gal stuff to do what you're doing, just a use for left-overs someone might have.

Maybe brightside polyeurathane?