Help Find Old Post re: Stuck screws on 265 dash panel

Enough Already

Reaction score
I know I saw it here before and have done multiple searches - but can't find it! Hold-down screws on my 265 dash panels are black anodized, fine thread and go into an aluminum plug/insert/tap in the dash. They constantly freeze up, prone to "spin" and are getting very hard to get out. Had to put pliers on the backside of one this weekend to keep it from spinning and pretty sure I messed it up. There was a post on here with some ideas on replacement, from simple Home Depot plastic anchors to some other ideas like nylon inserts. The post had several suggestions - can you help me re-find it?

Thanks!!

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Try to search my posts since I started a chain a while ago on this subject. I wound up trying two approaches- the simple plastic insert using black oxide SS sheet metal screws and a stainless steel threaded and knurled insert with black oxide SS machine screws. For the SS inserts, I also added super glue to the outside knurled surface to get a better bite. After four months both seem to be tight so my suggestion is the simple plastic insert since it will never corrode. I got the black oxide SS screws from McMaster.

Boat Hound

Reaction score
I had started that thread (can't find it either). One of the members here sent me a few, but I needed some more. I went to the local Grady dealer and had them in stock. Apparently it is something they run into all the time.

Fishshoreman

Reaction score
The original fasteners (inserts) in the dash panel are called rivnuts. Grady installed Aluminum rivnuts which are fairly common in the aviation industry. The screws I believe are black oxide finish.

Fortunately I work in the aviation industry and we stock SS rivnuts. I replaced all mine which were spinning on my Chase with SS. For the screws, we stock Bronze with black oxide coating so I went with those. Before I installed the screws I coated the threads with anti seize compound to make it easier to remove if needed. It looks just like the factory but without the corrosion. I could get you the rivnuts but you need a special tool to install them. They make the puller to fit on regular pop rivet squeezers.

shoretogo

Reaction score
Went to the local hardware store- got aluminum inserts with a flange (storm door repair area), SS machine screws, black plastic 2 piece cap (for screw head) . glued insert flange to fiberglass and used never seize on threads. good luck, John

Enough Already

Reaction score
I decided to keep it simple and just power-wire brushed the screws and greased them up. I will back them out every 6 months or so and re-lube. If you don't crank down too hard, the rivnuts don't spin.