Help Fuel Line from Filter-Bulb-Motor.

Heyspike

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well going through the boat today I noticed the primer bulb was really hard and dry, also the hose that feeds it from the filter and the line going to the motor. I want to replace all 3 of these before I splash it next week.
I measured the hose from the filter to the bulb 3/4"? then the bulb to the motor 1/2"? Does that sound right? Can I use automotive fuel lines?
Thanks,
John

seasick

Reaction score
Most likely the line from the filter to the bulb is 3/8 inch (inside diameter is how they are measured) and the line from the bulb to the motor is 5/16 inch.
The primer bulb should be 3/8 in and 5/16 out or say it can fit both sizes.
You should purchase marine grade hose with the markings 'USCG A1-15' which is a low permeability, flame resistant, rated to handle up to 15% ethanol.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Its measured by inside diameter. It is 99% probably 3/8". Look at the numbers on the existing tubing.

Should say type A1 and USCG approved Fire-Alcohol

Fishtales

Reaction score
I need to change from the fuel separator back this year. The bulbs (like tires on a car) will get hard and the lines can show surface cracks. I'm more worried about little bits coming off and going into the VST filters and potentially impacting performance more than anything.

Heyspike

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ok thanks, I removed it the hose from the filter to the motor, it says premium marine grade fuel sae j1527 USCG Type A1 ISO 7840.
The small hose has no marking except a purple stripe. I'm going to go to the Marine Service shop tomorrow and get the parts.
Thank You Everyone.

seasick

Reaction score
Ok thanks, I removed it the hose from the filter to the motor, it says premium marine grade fuel sae j1527 USCG Type A1 ISO 7840.
The small hose has no marking except a purple stripe. I'm going to go to the Marine Service shop tomorrow and get the parts.
Thank You Everyone.

That was the correct type when the boat was rigged. The new A1-15 designation takes into account that your fuel may contain up to 15% ethanol.

When reinstalling the fuel lines on the motor, it they are attached with tie wraps, you should not use the regular ones. You need to get the ones made for fuel lines. That have curve in the underside of the head that helps the hose seat completely with even pressure. They will have them at the marine store, all you need to know is the length needed ( usually 4 inch or 8 inch). The width of the two is different so it's not so much the length you care about since you will cut off the excess but rather the width of the band.
If you thinking about changing the lengths of hose from the VST to the fuel rails, that may different hose type and special clamps depending on the rail pressure, so unless it is bad, leave it alone.("if it ain't broke........")

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
With ethanol fuels, the hose will deteriorate from the inside out. Even if the outside looks good, the inside could be going or gone bad. If you pinch the hose with your fingers and it feels soft or spongy, it's probably bad. When changing motor mounted fuel filter or draining the VST and you have little black particles, your lines are shot.

Reactions: Heyspike

Heyspike

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That was the correct type when the boat was rigged. The new A1-15 designation takes into account that your fuel may contain up to 15% ethanol.

When reinstalling the fuel lines on the motor, it they are attached with tie wraps, you should not use the regular ones. You need to get the ones made for fuel lines. That have curve in the underside of the head that helps the hose seat completely with even pressure. They will have them at the marine store, all you need to know is the length needed ( usually 4 inch or 8 inch). The width of the two is different so it's not so much the length you care about since you will cut off the excess but rather the width of the band.
If you thinking about changing the lengths of hose from the VST to the fuel rails, that may different hose type and special clamps depending on the rail pressure, so unless it is bad, leave it alone.("if it ain't broke........")

Never knew that about the tie wraps. Thanks.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Good tip seasick. That is likely often over looked. Thanks.