HELP!!! In need of tilt trim unit for mid 90s Johnson/Evinru

conshykid

Reaction score
If anyone has a used tilt trim unit for a mid 90s Johnson Evinrude V6 please let me know!!!!

Last tuesday's storm that sunk my dock mates boat, also did some damage to mine as well.The port side bow piling silder pulled out of the pilling then the stern cleat completly got ripped right out of the dock which then let my motor to slam the dock behind the boat as the waves came in causing the motor to slam down on the tilt trim unint so bad it cracked the housing!!!!!If I cant get this part Ill be out for the part or the season that I look forward to the most Striper season!!So if any one can help me out let me know 610-405-8817 Anthony,Thanks

Also heres a quick vid of the storm and my boat (the Grady) and the boat that sunk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZzJ1IzX7_U

jehines3

Reaction score
Dude that sucks. I wish I had a spare to give you bro.

A few comments from the video. I honestly think that given the exposure of your dock you should consider modifying your dock line approach. I think the overall size line used is marginal and the method allows for allot of movement in the slip. I know it has to be tough using two fixed and two floating tie points, but consider the cross over stern like your big floating neighbor and a few spring lines forward to the pilings from the mid cleats. I hate to Monday morning QB, but it could have been worse. I felt bad watching your boat racking side to side in that slip. I've seen a few Johnson OB trim systems on Ebay recently for around $300, buy one and go fishin...jh

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Your boat took a beating, I'm not sure the floating dock is 100% either. At least it stayed shinny side up. If you had a Yami I would be able to help.

conshykid

Reaction score
jehines3.... the bow and spring line arent fixed,they are tied to rings that are on sliders bolted to the front pillings.The only reason the boat hit the dock was because the slider where my bow and spring lines are attached pulled right out of the pilling!!!! In the vid that a a friend took had no idea that the slider would pull off like it did.The winds were blowing aroun 70mph that day and when I got down there it was too late.

Grog....the dock got Fed up pretty bad due to the motor hitting it!!!!It even pulled a board right up from the dock!!The skeg is what did it and there were gouges everywhere,and it also bent the skeg slightly and took off the tip but after running her it felt fine

jehines3

Reaction score
You should have a minimum of 6 lines at least 3/8 diameter in a slip that exposed. Two stern, two bow, two spring. It should allow for any single line failure without dock or piling contact. It looks and sounds like you had less, so maybe consider modifying the arrangement. I'm just trying to prevent anything like this from getting you in trouble again. That slip is very exposed....jh

conshykid

Reaction score
jehines3 said:
You should have a minimum of 6 lines at least 3/8 diameter in a slip that exposed. Two stern, two bow, two spring. It should allow for any single line failure without dock or piling contact. It looks and sounds like you had less, so maybe consider modifying the arrangement. I'm just trying to prevent anything like this from getting you in trouble again. That slip is very exposed....jh

what didnt you understand?I have 2 bow 2 spring and 2 stern lines.Like I said the only reason the boat hit the dock is because the port side slider pulled out of the pilling!In the vid you can only see five lins because the cleat that the port stern line was tied to got ripped out of the dock!Regaurdless of that ,that line didnt cause the boat to go backwards anyway,it was due to the faliure of the slider!

for all you contacted me about the tilt trim...thanks I just got one and should be here tomorrow.