Help looking for switch & breaker?

gradywhite248

Reaction score
I have a 1999 248 Voyager and need a little help or point me in the right direction. I installed a new live well pump and all worked well for a few days. now it quit. in checking I found no power, looking at the switch and break they were the only ones with corrosion on them. In looking to replace and have a spare but don't know where to look help please.......

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Don't start replacing just 'because' - waste of time and money. Investigate further. Test for power on input and output side of breaker, then input and output side of switch (when "on", of course). We need to see where the problem is, exactly -- breaker, switch, or wiring in between - including wiring to the pump. You can also use a B+ jumper wire (and ground, if needed) to help narrow things down.

What type of breaker is it?

gradywhite248

Reaction score
Yes you are correct on the troubleshooting first. Unfortunately the boat is located 200 mile away and would like to have the parts if needed for a quick fix. The one thing I did not think of is I have two accessories switches and breakers that are not used I could swap with if needed and the breakers are the same?

seasick

Reaction score
gradywhite248 said:
Yes you are correct on the troubleshooting first. Unfortunately the boat is located 200 mile away and would like to have the parts if needed for a quick fix. The one thing I did not think of is I have two accessories switches and breakers that are not used I could swap with if needed and the breakers are the same?
Yes. Instead of swapping breakers though, you can swap wires, less chance of cracking something and that will replace breaker and switch

G8RDave

Reaction score
The breakers may have different amps. I had one go bad and had to replace it. It seems like most of them were 15 amp, but it will say right on the back of it. They are cheap enough that it may not be a bad idea to buy a few of different amps just so you have options when you get there.

Here is the breaker I bought. It was 10 amp. http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Sch ... CYrg%3D%3D

The switches on my 2004 228 are Carling Contura II.

gradywhite248

Reaction score
Thanks will go down this weekend an do a little maintenance. 100 deg heat should be fun..............

G8RDave

Reaction score
I found some photos of a boat similar to yours and it appears that your switches are different than mine. At least the actuator is different.

G8RDave

Reaction score
Ironically, my live well switch stuck in the "On" position this weekend and my pump eventually seized (it had been making noise for awhile). The good thing is that the breaker finally tripped so I could leave the battery on without running the motor. Looks like I'll be doing the same thing you are. I bought extra breakers last time, but no switches. I'll have a few spare switches this time. Too bad the live well is such a pain to remove, and necessary to remove to get to the pump.

gradywhite248

Reaction score
Going down to work on mine in a few weeks. Tried on the last trip but it was not to be the wife and friends are turning this into a party barge...........
G8RDave said:
Ironically, my live well switch stuck in the "On" position this weekend and my pump eventually seized (it had been making noise for awhile). The good thing is that the breaker finally tripped so I could leave the battery on without running the motor. Looks like I'll be doing the same thing you are. I bought extra breakers last time, but no switches. I'll have a few spare switches this time. Too bad the live well is such a pain to remove, and necessary to remove to get to the pump.

G8RDave

Reaction score
Replaced the live well pump and switch this weekend. It was a great time to teach my son how much "fun" boats are to work on. :)

gradywhite248

Reaction score
Well after swapping out the breaker and switch i had power to the Livewell Rule pump.........Guess what this is a new pump that cost over $100 that has now been replaced by the Manufacture with one that has a removal motor. The pump is bad. the motor is full of water. I bought a new style one at the NAPA store in Southport for the same price I could get on line $50. I highly recommend these guys. I guess I now have to deal with Rule and get my money back. Oh Yea. If you leave your boat in the water you might want to make sure the sea-cock is closed when not using the livewell. Evidently the Rule pumps have an issue with leaking thru the center shaft and filling the boat up with water................