HELP Me choose the right Grady!!!!

Magor

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm close to making the plunge on my first power boat. I come from a sailing background. I want a versatile platform for some fishing, diving, day boat, general runabout so a dual console seems like the right configuration and I like the look of the Tournament/Freedom 225.

So here's the BIG BIG question I am struggling with. :hmm There are two possible boats that I have an interest in.

Option 1. There's a 12 year old Tournament 225 with a F225 Yamaha with <500 hours. I think I can get it for around 26-28k. BUT it is 12 years old.

Option 2. A "new" Freedom 2014 Model with an F300. Priced around 85k. I assume that the 2014 model is now considered "last years"???

The basic hull/cockpit layout seems very similar so little to differentiate there.

So here are the questions.

What really are the notable differences (bar the engine)?
Is 85k a good price for a 2014 Freedom 225?
Is 26-28k a good price for 2003 Tournament 225?
What issues should I look out for on the older boat?
What would YOU buy and why?

Please please help!

Thanks

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We've always bought used boats, and would still do the same. My only concern with the older one would be the F225. Though I don't know the whole story, I know there were corrosion issues with the early models (Google it for more detail).

We saved enough money buying an older boat in good shape, that we put a fair amount into new electronics and are very happy.

dale1

Reaction score
Magor. I'm new to the Grady as well. 8 months. I've got a 265 express with 2 f225s. Its a true fishing machine. Not so great for bow access, however my wife and grands go there a lot if we are just hanging out on the boat.

sorry, cant help with values, but someone here can. Some 2002 through 2005 four stroke Yamahas have corrosion issues in the exhaust. Yamaha was very accommodating. I just changed the exhaust legs on mine. Cost about 2 grand. But I put in new pumps and other stuff while I was there.

It is really easy to determine if the motor has issues. Just pull the lower unit "foot" and look into the exhaust port. If its pitted, its bad, and will need replacing. At least you'll know. I purchased my boat blind, even though the marine surveyor recommended a 150 dollar inspection. I didn't listen. :huh once again. I think when you know what you have it makes it better. I really like the boat and motors now. :D the Yamaha is quite, smooth and dependable.

capeguy

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't read the original post well enough...

I am very familiar with the new Freedom 225, a good friend has one. Not so with the Tournament 225. Excluding the motor, here is what I would look for.

Layout. How is the layout different between these models, does the Tournament have the engine bracket like the Freedom? If not, that is a big difference as the Freedom 225 is more like a 25' boat due to the bracket. What electronics are included? The 2014 will have modern electronics while the older model may not. Cushions and bolsters on the new models are much better than older models.

What options are included? Livewell, washdown, etc.

If you have the budget, I would seriously consider the new model. Check boattrader for late model pricing to see what kind of resale you can expect.

The Freedom 225 is a very nice, well laid out boat. My firend is very happy with it, I can't imagine a F300 on it, it will fly. If the $85K includes electronics, trailer, bimini and major options it is a pretty good price imho...

Pez Vela

Reaction score
Magor said:
So here are the questions. What really are the notable differences...?

$50,000, stating the obvious perhaps, but really, don't you think you get what you pay for?

exudedude

Reaction score
The 2003 seems overpriced to me. You will take a serious depreciation hit on the new one. I would look for something 2-4 yrs old with low hrs or 2005-07 and repower it. You will still be way less than the than the 2014.

jklangen99

Reaction score
I bought my 2002 Tournament in 2007 for $27,500 so would agree with the other comment that the price is high. Mine came with 1 Yamaha F225, electronics, life vests, full canvas and trailer as well. I found it on Boattrader.com where you can really get a good idea on pricing. I just took a quick look and saw a 2002 Tournament for $19,900. I live in the New Orleans area and bought mine in Tampa. I did pay for an inspection. They ran the motor checking compression and other things. Didn't know to check the exhausts and mine are getting due so having them checked is a good idea. I have had fuel system problems with the F225 two years in a row where the VST filter gets clogged up. You can check that thread for lots of good comments on that as well.

Very, very happy with this boat! Been thinking a bout something larger lately with a cabin but not sure I would use it enough to justify the additional expense.

zimm

Reaction score
225 is a great boat. It is positively HUGE compared to other brands of 22 footers. Last year at the Baltimore boat show they had a Robalo 22something nearby the Grady 225. No comparision.

As to new vs used, only you can make that call. If you can afford $85k... why not? But you could save a fortune by getting a few year old one with a F250 on it for around $40-50k.

I was on a budget, which is why last summer I picked up my 2001 226 with trailer for $28k. Priced high, yes- but it was a fresh water boat that was garage kept. To me, condition is everything.

If you want the '03... get a Yamaha tech to do a pre-purchase inspection on the motor to check for the corrosion problems on the early F225.

One last thought- this is your first powerboat. You can buy a cheaper, older one first to see if it's the perfect boat for you before dropping $85k with the depreciation hit just to find out you want something else in a couple of years. Most people start with a 22 (like me) but have their sights set on a bigger boat with twins in the future.

Magor

Reaction score
Thanks all for the great feedback. Still thinking :hmm but inclining towards the newer boat. The sea trial was great. Tough conditions, short, sharp 2' waves and she tracked beautifully. Massive power from the 300 engine

zimm

Reaction score
Oh no, you sea trialed the new one? Now if you buy a F225 motor you'll always wish you had the new 300 back there! Plus the warranty is nice too. Best of luck and report back with what you end up with!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That '02 on Boat Trader is actually a 223 and not a 225...it's also got a 200 HPDI, not a four stroke.

The 2003 - 2014 225 Tournament/Freedom hull has not changed in 11 years. All the changes have essentially been cosmetic....dashboard...cushions....moving the rear fold down bench to the side, etc...

The 2002-2005 F225s had an exhaust corrosion problem...if you are looking at one of this era you need to get it scoped. If it fails, its an expensive repair.

Good luck in your search...

fishbust

Reaction score
Magor, many of us buy used boats because we cannot afford new boats.
If you can afford the new boat, that is generally a good way to go.
The problem in your case is it is your first powerboat. Often, within a year or 2, what you thought you wanted/needed may change and you may want to move onto something else. If you do not keep the new boat a long time, you will take a big beating on it with depreciation.

Maybe used would be a better way to make your way into power boating, until you are sure what boat you want to settle into for the longer term.

Graybeard

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Freedom 225 with an F200 and it will top out at 38 mph. But I never go that fast so the top end doesn't matter to me. The short steep chop in the Chesapeake Bay and the fuel cost keeps my speed down. It would have been nice to have the 250, but the numbers just didn't work. I think new or used depends on your financing and how much money you have to put down. For me it was easier to finance a new boat loan than a used boat loan.

Toddwein

Reaction score
Always a hard decision....If you can find the right used boat that is a couple of years old you can save some good money. My issue is I can never find what I want in a used boat. There are always compromises. When you buy new, you get what you want. There is also another advantage. The season is the northeast for me is short. I want to give myself the best chance for everything to "work" every time I use the boat. A new boat kind of gives you a few years pretty trouble free with a boat like the 225 which doesn't have too many things that can break. Engine will be super reliable, batteries etc... The only caveat I would offer, is that if you plan to be out of the boat within a year or two, buying new will cause your to take a hit. You cannot compare a 2014 225 to pre 2010 with older style motors, less fuel efficient, finishing, swim platform not nearly as nice. Good luck!!!