Help me decide gulfstream or islander

sealevel

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I just sold my 1994 Seafarer and am looking for a new grady. Here are my two choices what do you think. 1998 Gulfstream with a 2006 250 yamaha 4-stroke or 1998 Islander with a 250 yamaha 2 stroke both low hours. The gulfstream is $32,000 and the Islander is $29,000 with a trailer. I seem to favor the Islander because of the bigger cabin. Head ,refrig,microwave. On the other hand 4-stroke. The $3000 less would cover the difference of the better gas with the 4-stroke over a bout 4 years of use.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sealevel: Welcome to the forum. Where do you boat (inland, offshore) and what do you want to do with the boat? In my opinion, both boats are on the low end of power. For inland cruising, that may be fine. But for offshore use in anything but calm water, you may wish for a little more throttle response.

Rob

bberry

Reaction score
sealevel said:
Hi Everyone,
I just sold my 1994 Seafarer and am looking for a new grady. Here are my two choices what do you think. 1998 Gulfstream with a 2006 250 yamaha 4-stroke or 1998 Islander with a 250 yamaha 2 stroke both low hours. The gulfstream is $32,000 and the Islander is $29,000 with a trailer. I seem to favor the Islander because of the bigger cabin. Head ,refrig,microwave. On the other hand 4-stroke. The $3000 less would cover the difference of the better gas with the 4-stroke over a bout 4 years of use.

I have a GW 268 Islander with Twin 200 Yamahas and love It and the boats handles very well. I'm not sure if the single 250 will perform well on both Boats ,a lot of boat Weight for a Single 250 H.P Motor. If you trailer the boat the Islander has a 8'6" Beam and is legal to Tow and the Gulfstream is to wide to tow legally.
I have a 1995 Islander with Twin 200 Yamahas Saltwater Series with 600 Hours and a 2002 Alum. Float On Trailer. Boat is Loaded with all options Hard top ,Low hours, GPS/Map, Radar , Fuel flow scan ,Fishfinder, Enclosed Head, No bottom paint, in VGC for 31,500. Boat is in Boat Trader with lots of Pictures located in Chesapeake , Virgina. If you are interested.

midnight-rider

Reaction score
My advice

I bought a 99 gulfstream with a single 225.....fast enough for my use on the Chesapeake bay. The only issue is with towing. The boat's 9'03" beam which is over sized for MD and Va where I would tow thru. My trailer is a 2009 EZ loader is 8'06" wide and is leagal in all states. The problem is the boat's beam and the Toll roads is where you'll get spanked unless you have a wide permit in certain states. This is what I think you should concider if your going to be towing. Good Luck with your new boat.

Grady678

Reaction score
I had the Gulfstream and seriously considered the Islander. GS will go 42 top end with the 250 maybe a little more. No worries about trailering...the transom is only 4" over legal and I was never stopped in 4 years and 8000 miles of travelling. Biggest issue in my opinion is resale value of 2 stroke in 5 years.....kind of getting rare. Good luck!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I tend to go back what somebody said about how do you intend to use the boat? If you are trading up the 27 foot boat will ride better than the 23, but it really depends on your use. I liked the Islander and wished they still made it. Grady does not have a cabin boat between the Journey and Chesapeak, anyway the 250 does seem under powered unless they are twins. All things being equal, I would lean to the Islander, but a newer 4 stroke motor is something to consider...it is a toss up between a smaller boat and newer motor or a bigger boat older motor?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I, too, traded a Seafarer for a Gulfstream. I have no input on the Islander, as I've never been on one. Like Smoky, I wish they still made it, and had it on my wish list.
Anyway, the 232 rides worlds better than the Seafarer. As mentioned by midnite rider, the beam is wide on the Gulf. It is, of course, a toss-up as to whether you'd get stopped and measured. Everyone who tows one has to weigh that risk.
I have posted many times about how Gulfstreams are underpowered (in MY view) with singles, so I'll not elaborate again here. I would venture to state that the Islander would be a tad underpowered also, given the size. I wish your choices had twins as options.

downtown

Reaction score
Depending on how you are going to use the boat. Islander is a classic in that it is the largest trailerable boat with all amenities. I would try to find an Islander with two 175 four strokes.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
In your own question is the answer you are looking for.

The cost savings in fuel you projected will never compensate for an unacceptable cabin, nor will any savings.

The Islander is a narrower Sailfish to allow a single engine (cost savings) option as well as being unrestricted legally trailerable no different than a 19 footer.

The Gulfstream is a shorter Sailfish also with a single engine (cost savings) option but provides the wide body handling of the big beam boats (Sailfish and up!), for those of little interest to trailer or overnight. The "shortness" comes from chopping off the cabin for about 2 feet or more.

The single engine Gulfstream can be converted to twins with a replacement bracket, so both boats can be converted to twins later.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I forgot, the Islander has a euro transom some may prefer. I think it has a door as well.
Not the case with the Gulfstream.

Gulfs came with motor on transom versions and motor on bracket versions, and going back further, I/O versions.

Only one model version of the Islander.

downtown

Reaction score
Before I bought my Marlin, I looked at an Islander with a single 250. In my research I heard owner complaints that it just wasn't enough power for that boat. That is why I would go with twins.