Help me Decide!

VinMan

Reaction score
The Wahoo looks like its got one hot rod of a motor but inboards scare me. I'd go with the OB on a bracket. Nice boat, no drive shaft sticking thru the hull. Good luck either way...

VinMan
'06 Seafarer 228G

Fishtales

Reaction score
From the pics, both look very nice. The wahoo looks like a real nice restore from what I can see. That would be the boat I would look at first.
I would get a surveyor and get it checked, but if the transom is in good shape - thats the ticket for me.

gw204

Reaction score
Wahoo all the way. That is one sweet boat and exactly what I was looking for before I bought my Sailfish. When I couldn't find one, I stepped up significantly to the Sea V2 Sailfish. Figured if I couldn't have something rare and special, I wanted the more desireable Sea V2 hull.

While you should be cautious of the transom core in that boat, it's not nearly as critical as on an outboard boat. The only weight it has to support is that of a swim platform and anyone standing on it....much less than two big outboards.

The 24 is overpriced anyway...

Raftman1983

Reaction score
You really think the twin OB's will beat single inboard in economy? I've heard that the Wahoo doesn't have any wood in the transom....so nothing to worry about there.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don't have the numbers but a carburated 454 has got to be a gas hog.
The listing shows a single 225 BTW.

There is also the redundancy factor and resale.

Raftman1983

Reaction score
Yah your right, that fooled me to.....I have checked and it is twins.

gw204

Reaction score
My guess is that 454 will burn about 14 gal/hr at a cruise of 3000 to 3400. Probably running in the low 20s at that point.

freddy063

Reaction score
what do i know

I like the inboard, I got a diesel motor that would sweetin that right out.

striped bass

Reaction score
Rule of thumb that you may find helpful in your search: Buy the newest and biggest boat you can afford. The length is similar of both boats so I would lean towards the Explorer - but have it checked out by a qualified marine surveyor. With any used boat be prepared to spend an additional 20% above the purchase price for things that you will discover once you put it into real service. Never fails.
GW204 has good point - the Explorer may be too high so you have plenty of room to negotiate. Bargain hard, you are probably the only interested party looking at the boat. Be prepared to walk away.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

JeffN

Reaction score
I like the Wahoo. I have a 25' Kingfish. I repowered in 2007 with a single 496 I/O from twin 170 HP Mercs. Don't have two motors but neither do either of your choices. Anyway I love the package I now have, ecconomy is good and the big block is awesome. Don't know how the inboard is but there is someone here on the board that has that model - I think. Although the length is similar I think you will find there is a lot more room in the Wahoo - more beam more headroom etc.