HELP motor problems

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
maybe someone could help me out here heading out of freeport the other morning things were going good for the 1993 evinrude 225 ocean until about 6 mile out. All of a sudden at WOT i was only running about 3000 rpms so i back out of it and rev the motor and it hops up perfect so i throw it back in gear and back to the same ole 3000. so i figured if it was like a needel sticking or somthing ill just push the choke in and if it tries going then maybe im not getting fuel and oil to one cylinder. well i choked it and it tried dying so thats not it, so i figure ive lost some type of ignition or spark somewhere. i figure its a power pack but whats the best way to figure out my problem. since i only know if its fixed if i run WOT... any suggestions?

oh and also we diced to head on over to m bank to keep close in and while i was driving after it ran for a few mins you would hear like a clinging noise like maybe the cylinders were trying to fire and whe nit made that noise i noticed it started to pick up speed a little so im not sure where to start fellas im only 21 n dont have alot of knowledge but im not stupid so some things i can do like swap power pack and what not as long as it dont require timing lol....

thanks chris
:?:

phazzard

Reaction score
Sounds like water in the gas to me. I had the same problem until installing a water-separating (Racor) filter. Ended up having some related E10 issues too so I drained the whole tank and refilled with "clean gas". Make sure you have someone check your carbs after running this way for awhile... Hope this helps - and good luck.

beatnick

Reaction score
Had a similar issue, the boat would get on plane then lose rpm then pick back up again. It ended up being the stator.Not sure if yours is the same issue or not.

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
but i thought if their was water in the fuel it would try going at some point. i know i said it sounded like it was trying to fire on those missing cylinders but its not its getting it then its not. if that makes sence pretty much its running 3 grand at WOT.

thanks chris

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
u say it breaks down on the load or in gear, but rpms go up fine when no load. Sounds like a ign coil breaking down or power pack. Check all of your batter connections. Especially the grounds, clean em up. If it were fuel would be same effect in and out of gear. But cant hurt to clean up your fuel system, Drian carbs and run off a seperate tank to see if it changes anything.

Reaction score
Water in fuel is a definite possibllity, but check to be sure it is not running hot on one side and going into limp in mode, check both heads on the top were the thermostats are. warm up engine good,shut it off and feel each head, they should be warm but not so hot that you can't hold your hand on them. If one is that hot then you have a stuck closed themostat in that head. The tell tale water coming out the back will tell you that it is pumping but not if one of the therostats have stuck closed.

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
ill give that a shot and see. ya when i get on it it only goes to 3000 rpm but if its in neutral it will open all the way up. i mean u can tell the difference. but is their a way to check and see if the powerpack is bad or going out b4 i buy a new one.

thanks chris[/i]

DB

Reaction score
pull the plugs and see if they are wet or water on them...the rpms going up and down sounds like carbs...but if it does not occur in neutral only under load check compression it could be blown up...You Need FUEL, FIRE, COMPRESSION it has to be one of the three...check all grounds it could be loose ground wire that vibrates loose in gear.

bdevlin5983

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Spark plugs.... It sounds like a bad plug. I have the same problem recently with one of my waverunners (i know, i know...). On land, she would rev right up to 11K, put her in water, and the best I could get was 7K... Replaced all the plugs (which looked fine to the naked eye), and the problem was immediately gone... The 3 good plugs could carry the cylinder with the bad plug with no load, but load it up, and bam, power loss...

If its not plugs, it could definitely be a coil or such. At the very least, it definitely sounds like its electrical in nature. If the fuel was bad, or had water in it, i doubt you would get a good clean high rev in neutral.

Bren

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
i agree with that but these motors sure can throw you for a loop sumtimes... im gonna check the plugs and the spark to make sure i have good spark and if not then ill trace it back on the hoses ill put it in gear and run it up real quick and it sounds like it spudders a little like its tryin to fire. so we will see i appreciate the help. i just wish i could run it wide open in gear on the hoses but it dont work like that.

let me ask a ? would it be bad if i tryed fixing it and then backing it down a ramp in this small lake we have and leaving it on the trailer and opening it up to check if its fixed. good idea or bad lol?

thanks chris

DB

Reaction score
That would be an easy way...nothing wrong with that...mechanics use a test tank...you are using a test lake :lol:

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
ya lol true i mean i figure just leave it on the trailer cause my boats way to big for this little lake

grady23

Reaction score
How old is your Fuel?? Do you have a fuel/water separator? If not INSTALL ONE NOW! 2-stroke engines tend to grenade when they run too lean and it doesn't take long under load. Does your engine have oil injection? Is the oil injection working?
You can eliminate some or all of the fuel questions if you use a small carry-on tank and connect your fuel line to the small tank. A friend made one using a 3/8 ID hose as a feed tube and connected it to his engine. He used a 2.5 gallon plastic gas container and just opened the air vent on it when running to allow air in.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
as long as your tow vehicle wont move under the presure , you can use the lake as a test tank and open it up pretty wide. Replace the plugs. then
you can test the coils on the power pack if you can get to them, juts use a multimeter, you should get 275ohm +_-50. I think is the general spec for most jonhson /rude coil packs. Eahc coil should have 4 connectors test across 2left 2 right. Also check each of your spark plugs cables, all should read 0 oms if not you may have a bad cable.

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
alright i appreciate it i will be trying to find this out this week hopefully just got in from the lake just rode the jet ski n my parents pontoon to keep my mind off not having my boat lol. i hate it. but i am going to work on getting the boat all dialed in thanks guys when i find out ill le ya know

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Keep On!

Hey Young Dorado, sorry to chime in so late. I know that you have came a long way with your boat over the last quite a few months. Don't let this bit of motor trouble discourage you. You keep on keepin on with her till you win! 8)

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
indeed my friend i will i appreciate the courage..... i am putting her in the shop to be fixed and will have her back on the water catchin fish asap[/i]