Help my Grady shine again

highnoon

Reaction score
Model
Spirit
Got a 92 Spirit thats lost a bit of her shine. Light to medium oxidation. Boats been wharehouse kept, but after 21 yrs needs some attention. Any ideas on products or success stories?

Winged Pig

Reaction score
There was recently a good thread about this, but I'll kick in my .02 cents.

1: 3M rubbing compound on a foam (wool works too, but I prefer the foam) pad with a good variable speed buffer, like this one:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... 4AodyWEAYw

2: 3M Finesse It compound applied with a buffer and a foam pad.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... YJ4_XDR3dk
3: Collinite Fiberglass cleaner applied by hand, but I guess you could use the buffer if you wish.
http://www.collinite.com/marine-wax/fib ... at-cleaner

4: Finish with Collinite Fleetwax by hand.

Use a different pad for each product. When using the Fleetwax (either the paste or the liquid) do not let the product fully dry or you will have a hard time removing it. Wipe it on, then wipe it off. Your arms will thank you.

This is a time consuming process, but I did this on my new to me 15 year old Sailfish and it looks fantastic. Lots of work, so this is most likely a winter project, but the results will impress you.

Hope that helps.

noXcuse

Reaction score
Another fan of the 3M rubbing compound. I use a variable/high speed buffer with a wool pad on it. I set the speed to somewhere around 1,800rpm. Use a spray bottle with water in it, and keep the area you're working on a little wet. It works better and the compound goes further when it's wet.

mboyatt

Reaction score
What these guys said. :D 3m compound with wool pad, followed by 3m finesse it. Last step would be a wax of your preference. Should be pretty darn good looking at that point. You may want to wet sand any deeper scratches you have before you begin. I had a few to deal with on my boat prior to compounding, etc... Happy polishing!

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
Step 1: Purchase porter Cable buffer and LAke Country pads from Top of the Line - http://www.topoftheline.com/lake-countr ... -pads.html

- Also get a few (3 or 4) of the microfiber polishing pads and the blue microfiber buffing towels. Get one purple Lake Country Pad, Two White, and one Red.

Step 2: Compound the boat with 3M Heavy Duty compound by applying the compound the the buffer with the PURPLE PAD on it. Compound the boat by applying/working with the machine. Then, buff off by hand with any towel.

Step 3: Finish the compound using 3M Finesse It. Apply with a White pad on the machine. Rub off with any towel.

Step 4: Purchase a large bottle of Collinites 920 Fiberglass Cleaner (Your fiberglass is already clean but this also preps the surface for wax and will help the wax to adhere properly. Apply the 920 with a NEW white pad on the machine (High Speed) and rub off with a microfiber towel. When you are done put a microfiber polishing pad on the machine and go over the boat (High Speed) to remove any excess residue.

Step 5. Purchase 2 cans of Collinites 885 paste wax. Also get an applicator. Working in SMALL section: Work on the wax in a circular motion by hand. Then, immediately use the machine ( Medium Speed) with the RED pad and machine the wax to heat it up a little. Not a lot, just a quick pass. Then, remove the wax immediately with a clean microfiber towel. When you have finished put a NEW microfiber polishing pad on the machine and go over the entire boat (High speed) liberally to bring up the shine.

If you want the boat t really shine and the wax to last ALL season repeat step 5 - ALL of it.

This process WILL make the boat look as good as it possible can.

dpcarson

Reaction score
Or you can just use Rolite and knock it out in one step, then apply your wax

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Here's my regimen - took me about 3 hours or so to do the outside of the boat last weekend. 4 steps to it...

Supplies needed - 3M Super Duty Compound, Collinite 920 Fiberglass Boat Cleaner; 870 Fleetwax, Star-Brite Polish with PTEF, applicators, orbital (I use a Shurhold), wool pads (at least 2), foam pads, microfiber towels (the ones from Costco work well)

1.) Wash and dry the boat thoroughly. Use Dishwashing Detergent such as Dawn to remove the old wax/polish.
2.) Apply the 3M to an applicator and slather it onto the hull...a little goes a long way. Work in 2x2' sections....2 passes with the Surhold set at about 4. Up and down then back and forth using a wool pad. Remove the haze with the microfiber towels.
3.) Apply the Collinite 920 using a fresh applicator and make 2 passes....buff off the haze with a clean microfiber towel. Work in 2x2' sections, again.
4.) Apply your favorite wax - I use the 870 liquid on a foam pad on the orbital...let dry to haze...buff off with microfiber towel.
5.) Apply the polish - using an applicator and by hand...work in small areas and a little goes a long way. Buff off almost immediately with a microfiber towel.

Step back and admire...this is what mine looks like...

IMG-20130511-00009.jpg by parthery, on Flickr