help on used boat purchase

dlcss396

Reaction score
Hi,

First post here. I have tried doing some searches, but little luck.

I am looking at purchase of a Grady White 190 tournament 1989. On the sea trial today, there were a few things that were strange to me. Wondering if anyone can offer input.

First the boat topped out at around 32 mph. It has a 1989 140hp Johnson with a 15x17 prop, 3 blade. The tach said 4500 RpM. Shortly thereafter the tach read 6000 RPM but the engine was not turning any faster, just reading higher. The voltmeter indicated just under 12 volts when we started, then showed charging later in the trial,13 volts or so. I know he had just charged the battery.

My questions are as follows:

does the top speed of 35 seem appropriate? Also 4500 Rpm seems low, shouldn't that motor turn 5500?

Any ideas on the erratic Tach reading? I looked pretty hard for loose wires and such.

I am going to go back and check the charging with my Fluke, and do compression test as well.

Anyone own a Grady of that model and vintage have any input as to what the top speed is and prop usage?

Thank you in advance. I would like to buy the boat, however I will have very little money left over to perform "repairs". Any input is greatly appreciated.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I owned a late 80s 190 with a 150 Yamaha. It ran 44 mph. With a 140, I would think you should be in the mid-upper 30s.

The tach may be bad....or te wiring may be bad. Either way, you should be turning around 5500 rpm at wide open throttle. I'd have the motor checked out thoroughly if you decide to pursue this one....

dlcss396

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply Parthery. Do you remember what prop you used?

The motor ran very well. purred like a kitten, idled perfectly also. I was thinking it needs a cable adjustment? Maybe a different prop?

I am going to do a compression test on it as well as check the charging to the battery.

The owner states the motor has around 150 original hours on it, it looks to be true by the condition of the boat and motor.

anyone else have thought on this?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If I recall, mine also had a 17" prop.

Were you getting your speed readings from a GPS or a speedometer? Marine speedometers are not always accurate...particularly if there is growth on the pitot tube or the tubing itself running between the transom and the guage is pinched or split.

dlcss396

Reaction score
It was a speedometer reading, I did not have my GPS with me. I think everything is fine- I am a bit nervous as I am not an outboard guy. I currently own an I/O and am very handy with it, the Outboard has me a little scared I guess. The fact that my curren boat goes 65 may also have me a little off as well.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'd be more concerned about the RPMs not hitting 5000-5500. It may be the tach...or it may be something a little more serious (and expensive.)

dlcss396

Reaction score
Something like what?? I can't think what would limit the RPM- cable adjustment?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My brother had a late 80's 192 with the 140 and it topped out just under 40, like 38 or 39. My 98 CV2 hull 192 with a 150 4 stroke topped out around 44. Have the motor inpsected by an OMC mechanic. My old boat had a Johnson Ocean runner and the power pack failed twice in a couple of years. Was the voltage reading - the 12 volts before the motor started? The 13 volts sounds about right as it indicates the alternator is charging.

dlcss396

Reaction score
I really appreciate your responses.

I am pretty sure everything is fine- as I said, I will do compression test later today. That should tell a lot, everything else can be fixed relatively easily. I will also put the Fluke on to check voltage.

I am starting to think maybe a bad ground was at fault with the guages? I will check that out as well.

The motor ran so very well. Idled nice adn low an it puuuuuurrrrrred. You could barely hear it! no misses- could have put a coffee on the cowl and not seen any ripples.

I have never owned an outboard and I think my fear is getting the better of me.

It sure helps to talk it through.

uncljohn

Reaction score
Has the hull been surveyed? Maybe you have a saturated transom or hull and you're carrying a lot of water weight. I assume you saw the bottom and that doesn't have growth. Obviously others w/ your boat have gotten 10 extra MPH out of similar engines.

Were you in rough water when trialing? Such that the lower unit could have been popping out of the water and allow RPM jumps?

I can push 5700 RPMS at WOT, but I never run there. Normally 3800-4200 is where my 200 Yam purrs.

dlcss396

Reaction score
No it was a pretty flat pond- I am an experienced boater- just never owned an outboard.

The boat is very clean- owner states he never even left it in the water for more than a day or two. He appears to be telling the truth.

Shows little signs of use- the motor is so clean you could eat off it! Owner states under 150 hours, he is an old man who used it to fish with his buddies a 3 or 4 times per year. It has a scratch or two in the hull from poor docking/ handling, but the inside and motor look FLAWLESS. No stress cracks or anything like that. Very clean. That is why I am contemplating this so hard!!

The compression test will tell the tale I believe. I will advise. I spoke with a surveyor, he is very busy, but he was very helful as well.

no problem

Reaction score
That's a 1989 the owner admits to hardly ever using, it's entitled to have a few gremlins. So long as its priced right, it either has compression or it doesn't. Little things are going to come up once you start using a boat that's been sitting that much. Assuming it runs well the motor is only worth about 2k or less anyway.Good luck with it.

dlcss396

Reaction score
Well I know the owner as well as several guys who have been on the boat. They have confirmed the use and care the guy takes of his stuff. I have also been to his house.
The compression checked out at 124 across all cylinders, no deviation whatsoever. I also checked the voltage at the battery, that checked out fine while running as well.
Needless to say I am the new owner of a Grady White.
Thank you all for the help, hopefully I can return the favor. Guess I better learn about outboards!!

As far as the motor worth only $2000, maybe so, but I will run it for a while, maybe repower later with a yammy 200???

Now I just have to sell the Checkmate- anyone interested?? Near mint condition.

dlcss396

Reaction score
MAybe so- but I will be able to trailer it and go to the fish, the boat will last me the rest of my life- Those guys with the big boats are either tied to one spot to boat out of or pay the big bucks to trailer the thing. Besides if there is a big blow we fish out of my buddies Walkaround. If we want to hit Erie, Ontario, Chataqua or any of the finger lakes, just hook and go, look out Fishes!!!

I bought this boat for versatility, family friendly, fishing friendly, trailerable = mobile.

Attachments

• sides.jpg
    sides.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 2,235

dlcss396

Reaction score
Thanks!! Just need some money for some rods, and Holders, and of coarse lures and gas..and.................................$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

wireline

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Good Luck, Looks real nice. I have same set up ,same year same hp, we trailer and happy to do so . The versititly from fishing to family cruise is there, our whole family fishes. My only problem is my 150 just fried, a new Yammy looks to be in store for us. As I have been told you may need to repower but never need another boat.
Good Luck & Congrads.
Wireline

dlcss396

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the 150 Frying. Are you going to buy new or used or rebuilt? Or rebuild the one you have?

I would love to put a 200 on!

wireline

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
We are starting to check out our options. Like every one else cash is tight. Option 1 is there is a company here that rebuilds and sells used engines, we can go with a used power head from a johnson 150 would cost about 2k complete with 90 day warranty. Problem I still have a 21 yr old motor,what happens on day 120 and she blows again. Option 2 they also have a completly rebuilt 150 cost is about 6k. almost same issues to be concerned about. Cheked with local Grady dealer Boats inc. (super nice guys) Talking to him about a new Yammy 150 2 stroke, complete repower ,new gauges,controls. Also checking with another marina that has handeled all my service ( Becon Point also great guys) talking with them on a suzki 150-170, complete controls and gauges. Most likley end up brand new this winter, go for bank loan and call this season done early.
wireline