Help - scupper blocked with debris

double2trouble

Reaction score
Grady 208/F150 owner here - I keep the boat slipped, and as I was washing and waxing the boat for season - I noticed the starboard transom drain/scupper was not draining. I inserted the hose into the drain opening to force water out thru the scupper but water backfilled onto the deck. I then inserted the hose from outside the boat and tried to back flush from the scupper and lots of leafs and junk backflushed onto the deck.

The drain has improved - but is not yet fully cleared.

any suggestions? can I "snake" the passage or just continue to try to force water from the hose both from inside and outside the boat?

any tips would be appreciated....

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've never had anything clog it so bad that a blast from the hose (putting the nozel in the drain) didn't cure. If you look in from the transom, how bad is it? Are there barnicles or something in there?

double2trouble

Reaction score
Thanks for the response - no barnicles! Never a problem until this season.
Boat is kept really clean but something went wrong over the winter.

Boat had been wrapped and on blocks. Then unwrapped, serviced, and slipped.

I try re-flushing...thanks

richie rich

Reaction score
not sure if your model has them, but check to see if the drain ball is stuck in there or has growth blocking the exit....you should be able to unscrew the drain screen from the deck side and get it out of there. Also check to see if mud wasps started building a nest in there...they find there way into the smallest openings.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Try pushing that hose in from the outside, as far as it will go, then turn on the water. Let t run a bit, and see if it blows out the debris. If not, you may have a broken or kinked/collapsed scupper hose, and need to replace.

seasick

Reaction score
There is almost a straight shot from the deck drain to the scupper. A garden hose should go all the way. The opening where the flap is mounted is a bit smaller than the fitting opening and it is possible that there is a clog in there. You can run a small diameter stick in from the stern or from the deck. You can also lift the flapper and have a look see.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
I've had a poland spring water cap make it's way into mine one time that was a PIA to get out. Suggest you get a narrow diameter snake and push it up fron the hull side in and have someone inside the cockpit to see what comes up. You'll get whatever is blocking it out, just take your time.