Help Wanted Finding a 282

Skins88

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Guys, I'm looking for a 282. Up in the Pacific North West. Not sure a boat on the east coast would makes sense since getting it here isn't cheap. Not looking for a project. Want something pretty turn key. If anyone has a line on one, send it my way.

Cheers,

Nick

Skins88

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I saw that one pop up. Nice rig for sure. Motors are getting up there in hours. Not sure I want the bait tank. Eats up a lot of dance floor and I wouldn't be going for Tuna in the near future.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You're leaving out a ton of vital information such as your budget, preference on years of boats, power levels, how far you're willing to travel for one, etc. As for buying an east coast boat? I've done it 3 times before and have saved a ton of money each time in doing so. The first two boats were for 21' Arima's that I found back in Maryland. Bought the first, a 21' Arima Sea Ranger Skip Top for $16.5k back in 2017, owned it for 4 seasons and then sold it out here just north of Seattle where I live for $27.5k. Same with the other boat, it was a 21' Arima Sea Ranger Hardtop that I bought for $20k and sold it for $28.5k. Not sure where in the PNW you're located, but my parents and I share a beach cabin on Whidbey Island in the Puget Sound and while the Arima's do ok out there, they tend to pound while in the 1'-2' chop. After having the first one for 4 seasons and flipping the second for a profit, I decided that I wanted something bigger, nicer and much more comfortable. Sold them both and looked for a Grady White 228 Seafarer for just over a year before finding my boat, also ironically back in Maryland as well. It was in late September / early October 2021 and they were asking $28k for it. The problem was, the dealership required that everyone do business in person and you couldn't buy the boat over the phone and then have it shipped out to you.

So, I bought a plane ticket, emailed a copy to the sales manager, they put the boat on hold for me for a day, I flew out to Maryland and looked at it with another forum member on here. Put an offer down of $26.5k on the boat the first day which they accepted, the second day we did a sea trial run, and then they double checked everything on the trailer, and on the fourth day I rented a U-Haul truck and drove it the 3,009 miles back to Seattle. She's a 2004 GW 228 Seafarer with the hardtop, also has a 2004 Yamaha F225 with just under 1k hours on her and a 2009 aluminum I beam trailer. I've seen the same years of boats sell out here on the local Seattle Craigslist for $55k-$65k or more. Of course, those boats either had a kicker motor and/or radar, which mine doesn't, but the rest of the boat was pretty much identical. Also, a kicker motor and an inexpensive radar unit can be bought for less than $5k. So... long story short, yes buying a boat on the east coast can save you a ton of money and I quite literally saved over half of what I'd spend on the same boat out here in Seattle. Sure, I probably spent $3,500 - $4,000 on my expenses getting the boat back out here, but still I'm at barely $30k for the boat and still at half the price or less of what they sell for out here. Most shipping companies are probably going to charge around that same price of $4k+, but they'll likely be backdated a couple weeks just to get to the boat, and then another week or so to get it out here. If you're ok with doing that then by all means, a neighbor of mine at our beach cabin had a GW 270 Islander shipped out here from Florida last spring. As mentioned above, put some information about your budget, your preferences on a boat and so forth and you'll get some more people trying to help you out. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Skins88

Skins88

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Now that's a response! Lots of info there. I've actually circled back to look at some of the listing for east coast boats. There could be some candidates there.

Budget is roughly 100k usd. I'm up in Vancouver BC. Just missed a Boat up here. Still hoping the deal falls through and I can grab it. I'm not really picky on anything. Right Boat for the right price. Ideally as turn key as possible. The boat up here had riggers and kicker all done. The back east boats don't. If the boat needs a repower that's not so ideal but if the price is right, then that's fine. I guess a 05 recently repowered with a kicker, riggers and trailer would be the perfect scenario.

Here's a link to the one I missed. It is looking at a repower but had the exhaust done so the motors might go a few more years.

Is 10k a good budget for shipping a boat from back East?

Ideally the boat is Portland or closer and I can drive down, make a deal and tow home. But really open to options.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
When I was looking for a 265 express about 6 months ago, I was considering east coast as well. Most of the quotes I got were in the 6-8k range from South Carolina to Portland. You rarely see 265s come up for sale here in the PNW, but the one I ended buying was up in Sekiu. From his original asking price of 60k with the original OX66 250s, though supposedly they were rebuilt, it was still way over priced, I drove it home for 32k.

Always easier to negotiate when you've done your homework and know what they're selling for. I showed him multiple examples of original powered boats vs repowered boats. Plus other things his boat needed, feel I got it at the right price. It's now repowered with new zukes and new electronics.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Now that's a response! Lots of info there. I've actually circled back to look at some of the listing for east coast boats. There could be some candidates there.

Budget is roughly 100k usd. I'm up in Vancouver BC. Just missed a Boat up here. Still hoping the deal falls through and I can grab it. I'm not really picky on anything. Right Boat for the right price. Ideally as turn key as possible. The boat up here had riggers and kicker all done. The back east boats don't. If the boat needs a repower that's not so ideal but if the price is right, then that's fine. I guess a 05 recently repowered with a kicker, riggers and trailer would be the perfect scenario.

Here's a link to the one I missed. It is looking at a repower but had the exhaust done so the motors might go a few more years.

Is 10k a good budget for shipping a boat from back East?

Ideally the boat is Portland or closer and I can drive down, make a deal and tow home. But really open to options.
There's one down in California that appears to be the only one on the west coast, which is listed for $95k and comes with a trailer. Doesn't have bottom paint and looks like it has around 750 hours on the motors. A quick check of the midsections of the motors by a Yamaha tech or marine mechanic as well as a survey and it might be a great candidate for you. It's definitely on the higher end of the spectrum compared to the other boats available on the east coast that are $20k-$25k less, but if everything checks out, it's still within your budget. You could drive down to California in a day or two and then drive it back if you wanted to trailer it yourself, or you could probably even have it shipped up to you for a couple grand. I'm not sure how it works out at the border with all of the titling and registrations and so forth as I've never done an over the border purchase before. With regards to your question about costs for transporting a boat from the east coast to the west coast, I think your $10k is going to be a bit on the higher side. I can't imagine that most companies, as mentioned above by Saltyone, are going to be much over the $8k range. There are 20 or so 282's for sale on Boat Trader varying from around $70k up to around $100k and should give you a few different ones to choose from. If you're not concerned about the money, you could always consider the one in California, though if you're like me and are a frugal boater, I'd consider one of the boats on the east coast for $20k-$25k less and then have it shipped out here or do the drive yourself for likely less than $8k. At which point it'll likely save you $15k-$20k off your purchase price. Just my thoughts of course, some of it is going to depend on the shipping companies that are available and how much they're going to charge. That being said, I can't imagine it would cost over $10k to have the boat shipped out here, so even if you were into the boat $85k total... that's still going to be a savings of $10k over the one in California. And that's $95k just to buy the one in California, not to mention having to have it shipped up to you or doing the drive yourself, which is only going to add to the price. You might be able to offer less on the Cali boat though and save some of your money?

Skins88

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
There's one down in California that appears to be the only one on the west coast, which is listed for $95k and comes with a trailer. Doesn't have bottom paint and looks like it has around 750 hours on the motors. A quick check of the midsections of the motors by a Yamaha tech or marine mechanic as well as a survey and it might be a great candidate for you. It's definitely on the higher end of the spectrum compared to the other boats available on the east coast that are $20k-$25k less, but if everything checks out, it's still within your budget. You could drive down to California in a day or two and then drive it back if you wanted to trailer it yourself, or you could probably even have it shipped up to you for a couple grand. I'm not sure how it works out at the border with all of the titling and registrations and so forth as I've never done an over the border purchase before. With regards to your question about costs for transporting a boat from the east coast to the west coast, I think your $10k is going to be a bit on the higher side. I can't imagine that most companies, as mentioned above by Saltyone, are going to be much over the $8k range. There are 20 or so 282's for sale on Boat Trader varying from around $70k up to around $100k and should give you a few different ones to choose from. If you're not concerned about the money, you could always consider the one in California, though if you're like me and are a frugal boater, I'd consider one of the boats on the east coast for $20k-$25k less and then have it shipped out here or do the drive yourself for likely less than $8k. At which point it'll likely save you $15k-$20k off your purchase price. Just my thoughts of course, some of it is going to depend on the shipping companies that are available and how much they're going to charge. That being said, I can't imagine it would cost over $10k to have the boat shipped out here, so even if you were into the boat $85k total... that's still going to be a savings of $10k over the one in California. And that's $95k just to buy the one in California, not to mention having to have it shipped up to you or doing the drive yourself, which is only going to add to the price. You might be able to offer less on the Cali boat though and save some of your money?

I tend to agree. Might be worth the savings on a east coast boat. Even if the shipping eats into it. The one you mentioned looks like it's in Florida. As far as I can see.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I tend to agree. Might be worth the savings on an east coast boat. Even if the shipping eats into it. The one you mentioned looks like it's in Florida. As far as I can see.
It is. There are several in Florida, even this one might be worth looking at, though it does appear to need a trailer. But it has newer Suzuki’s on it and is only $60k.

Skins88

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Bump. Not having much luck. Looked at the 05 in Vancouver. Wasn't impressed. Made a offer on the 06 that's back East on BT. Someone made a better offer the next day. Missed it.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
There's literally 21 different boats on BT that fit your general guidelines... though the only one in your general area has almost 3k hours on it. Most all of them are located on the east coast.

Skins88

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Yeah. I'm watching boat trader and the other major sites daily. The 06 you posted is the one I missed. Made an offer late Wednesday. Salesmen told me he would present it, he was off the Thursday and would let me know Friday morning. While he was off another salesmen sold it on the Thursday. Anyway... The 07 is pricey with no trailer and original power.

I'm hoping someone has a line on something a little off grid. There's some boats with original 05 power and low hours. The more I learn the scarier that is.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I think you need to be watching nationwide (probably already are) and possibly consider expanding your search to some other similar models. I have seen more and more availability of quality boats for sale, prices are still high but I suspect they will come down within a year or two. There’s just a lot more GWs available on the east coast, and shipping cost isn’t much different to the west coast price premium.

Skins88

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I'm looking east coast. BT, Yacht World etc... Not searching every Craigslist across the country though.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yeah. I'm watching boat trader and the other major sites daily. The 06 you posted is the one I missed. Made an offer late Wednesday. Salesmen told me he would present it, he was off the Thursday and would let me know Friday morning. While he was off another salesmen sold it on the Thursday. Anyway... The 07 is pricey with no trailer and original power.

I'm hoping someone has a line on something a little off grid. There's some boats with original 05 power and low hours. The more I learn the scarier that is.
I honestly don't think you'll find something near the vintage you're looking for that comes with a trailer and newer power on it for $100k or less, though I could obviously be mistaken. I think anything in that $70k-$100k price range is going to have original power on it or it's been repowered with something of the same vintage.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm looking east coast. BT, Yacht World etc... Not searching every Craigslist across the country though.
I would check the main, larger cities on the east coast like the 3 in Florida, Boston, NYC, Baltimore, Jersey Shore, the 2 in NC and then the 2 in Virginia, as well as a couple others. You can generally check them out rather quickly if you just type in "Grady White" into the search category before you click on "Boats", and then hit "search titles only" on the left hand side, that should narrow your search a bit.

Skins88

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I honestly don't think you'll find something near the vintage you're looking for that comes with a trailer and newer power on it for $100k or less, though I could obviously be mistaken. I think anything in that $70k-$100k price range is going to have original power on it or it's been repowered with something of the same vintage.
Maybe. There also isn't any repowered 05's or newer to look at. I'd be curious to know what they would go for.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I would suggest Fbook marketplace too. I was skeptical until I started looking there and seeing postings that were not on Clist

Skins88

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Might have to start digging deeper on market place and Craigslist. Thanks guys.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Maybe. There also isn't any repowered 05's or newer to look at. I'd be curious to know what they would go for.
You know why that is, don't you? Per the brochure on the GW website, the 282 Sailfish stopped being produced after 2008. It's not like a 228 Seafarer, or something similar, that just got discontinued in 2021 or more recently. With a boat that hasn't been produced in now 15 years, I think you're going to struggle a bit to find exactly what you're looking for. Which if I'm not mistaken, it sounds like that is a 2005 or newer boat with a newer repower, trailer and for less than $100k? If that's the case, I think that is going to be the biggest thing going against you is the production years and finding a repowered boat. Keep looking if you're serious about that one particular make and model, or you could always look at others like a 270 Islander, a 290 Chesapeake or similar sized boats. Good luck